Best material for filling in a bolt notch and other features of a McMillan?

Boyd Allen

I may be converting a Bruno/McMillan from right left to left right, right. What would be the best material to fill in the bolt notch and make other right handed features disappear, and will I need to put something on the material that I will be exposing with new cuts? I realize that I will have to paint it, and want to keep that as simple and durable as possible. That work will be home done as well. Any suggestions?

2 part epoxy the slower curing type not the 5 min stuff. Mix the epoxy as directed and add baking soda to get the body/ stiffness you need

I use AcraGlas gel and fumed silica (Cab-O-Sil or Aerosil)

I recently bought a 25lb bag of Aerosil, it's a paper bag about 5ft long, 24" diameter??? Like two feedsacks sewn end to end. It's HUGE, fumed silica is light stuff.

I've heard of folks using glass microbeads or "microspheres," also light but quite a lot more expensive.

TAP Plastics or Fiberlay, US Fiberglas or West Marine, pick the one closest to you. TAP has 4 outlets near Sacramento.

al

For filling the notches, I used plain old lightweight autobody filler, like Bondo. It dries fast, is easy to shape and sand and takes primer very well.

To cover the exposed foam when cutting the new slots, I used 5-minute epoxy.

Jerry

Boyd, Call Kelblys and get a repair kit in the color you need and is good as new. comes with fiber glass resin hardener and the color also directions...... jim

Boyd, Why not, it's fiberglass. I filled in bolt handle cuts and all sorts of holes and gouges in stocks. If you get the color match, it's undetectable. and it stays no cracking no shrinking. You may want to call McMillan and see if they offer a kit like Kelbly.....jim

Boyd,,If the stock was painted it doesn't matter. If it's gel coat just match the color, if there is gold or silver met. in you can get it also.This what Kelbly uses to fix there stocks. This is the best i found..... jim

Back