Best experience with 1 shot cold bore barrels

blackhole

Fishing a bit here, just looking to see who and what they would use for a barrel for a cold 1 shot rifle game. A little history if you go to play somebody's game you got to know all expectations. The game series of odd sized interactive targets out to 125 yards. You are allowed a sight in time, for figuring scope settings. But when the shooting starts your scoring starts from first shot, 5 shots, then wait until next stage. Maybe 30 mins. This is actually a hunting rifle game, not so much a bench gun, although a few would be good at it.What is your best cold bore 1st shot rifle set up? Thank you for your thoughts.
Blackhole

sure is quiet around here

Don't be shy. Most you all knew me some 18 years ago, but issues have pulled me out of the running. One of the fun things about .22 shooting is almost everyone has got one they are proud of and there are all various types of shooting you can do without it costing you and arm and a leg. Times have certainly progressed since I was here last.

There is no “cold shot” per se with a 22. From a clean match bbl you’re about 1” high @50yds. Cold dirty bore maybe 1/2 that.
You’re on a BR forum not pretend sniper forum.

Blackhole, I agree with tim. I looked back at this months targets and checked my first sighter shot,
taking into account that the barrel was clean and dry, the first sighter shots on all sixteen targets were,
to some varying degree, high.
In warm weather my rifle may need nine to ten shots to stabilize,
in the cold it may take many more before I can shoot for score.
Hope this helps.

Bob

Last edited:
black hole I think this is a very interesting problem.
I for sure am no expert at this. But I would try.
Show up with a foulde barrel. A clean cold bore is
unpredictable. A cold fouled is to but not as much.

'I would also try to prelube the barrel.
There are lubes out there, mostly for the
black powder guys. I have tried this and
it seems to tighten up the group a little
faster.
I also know different ammo acts different
experiment

Good luck
Dean

I don't think it matters much if the distance is 125 yards. Use the first shot somewhat as a sighter and go from there. What I'm saying here is the effects of the wind will largely dictate where the bullet strikes...and "largely" is an understatement.

1st shot

I shoot IR50/50. In the past I would put Imperial Sizing on a patch pushed through the barrel and the grouping would be right in there with the first shot. Just a small amount on the patch is all you need. I no longer do it because I can shoot as many foulers as I want before the record target.
Gene

Saweeet!! thanks for the feedback

I know it is an individual barrel thing + knowing your equipment. I played a game I had never studied for and got a spanking. I had always been use to unlimited sighters as long as you met your time, didn't know they would count your ammo to the bench you were only allowed 5 rounds per relay. no sighters, at this point this game is pretty much heads up hunting style, makes scope changes etc. each relay was 5 shots. I went because a buddy did.The man that won was shooting a Kimber. Him and another guy cleaned the course out to 125 yds. The last relay was the end of sidewalk chalk LOL it has been 18 years since I shot in any rifle competition. I just wondering now that I can see some time opening up soon, what improved and how the pulse is out here. It appears pretty much the same as when I left. There was no paper to spot your shot you either hit or drew a "0"

Last edited:
Back