Benchrest. Tips, Techniques and How To's info please.

C

clivej

Hi all new here.
At last I have managed to get some good groups together with my CZ 22lr at 50y.
What I'm looking for now is any good info and web links to help me get better at those bench shots.
Techniques on how to hold the gun, when to take the shot....... you know what I mean.

Goodness!

You're likely to get more opinions than Chans in a Chinese phone book.

Work on "when to take the shot" first. It's a simple matter of watching wind flags, shooting sighters and making note of where the bullet hole appears.

In other words - "when I see this, I do that".

Where To Start?

First off, welcome to benchrest shooting! This forum is a good place to learn and ask questions. You'll get a variety of opinions on almost any subject. I have been shooting BR for about 18 months now and will offer some of the things I have learned. I am NOT an expert! Your results may differ!

1. Go to a nearby range and talk to other shooters. Most are glad to share information and the insights you'll get are invaluable. Experienced shooters have already made most of the mistakes and can help you avoid some of them.

2. You'll probably get frustrated with your CZ before long. They're good rifles, but not really what you need for true benchrest. Look at what is available, the rifles that are winning in the national matches and decide at what level you wish to compete. I am far from being able to shoot competitively at a national level but do very well at my local club with a Cooper TRP3. Take your time choosing another rifle. There are "custom" rifles out there that are for sale and they may for sale because the current owner can't get them to shoot at the level he wants. I bought a new rifle and am making my own mistakes rather than inheriting those of another shooter.

3. Shoot good ammunition. You'll find that your rifle has preferences for specific brands, speeds or bullet types. Good choices are Wolf, SK, Eley and Lapua. My rifle likes Eley Team @ 1045-1060 fps and Lapua Master M.

4. Get a good front rest and good rear bag. I have a Cowan rest (cowanhaus@verizon.net) with a Protector front bag and a Protektor "Bumblebee" rear bag. Joe Cowan has the rests made in his school shop by students. They take a back seat to no other rest and are probably one of the greatest bargains in this sport.

5. Get good wind flags and learn to use them. Much easier said than done. You need to watch the flags and note how different wind directions move your shots. I find that all three flags must be doing approximately the same thing or results will be unpredictable. Choose a condition for the day (for example a light wind from 7 o'clock), see where your point of impact is as compared to your aiming point and either adjust your scope to compensate for this or hold off so that your bullet will be moved to the 10 ring by the wind. My rifle is zeroed for the center of the target and I hold off, depending on the wind. Either method will work so you have to choose what works for you. You will learn patience waiting for a particular condition to return or learn where your hold should be for multiple conditions.

I realizethis response is mostly personal opinion, but things I list have worked for me. Good shooting!

Rick

Some Good Reading

You might want to do some reading in two of my websites.
http://team40x.com/
http://TheWindIsNotYourFriend.com/
I started them over 5 years ago in an attempt to collect articles, posts & other material that could be of interest to the bench rest community. My early attempts at building websites used archaic programming that was almost impossible to update. Over the last month or so I have worked at bringing these websites up to the latest standards. Now they are a lot easier to correct and update.
It would be appreciated if all would take a look around and tell me what you think. There is a wealth of information there but I could use some more. If you have any ‘tips or tricks’ or other information that could be of interest to the rimfire community send them to me & I will try to find a place to publish them.

Doug@Rimfirebenchrest.com

I don't have a lot of shooting techniques to give you, but I think the CZ is a very under-rated gun once you get a good trigger in it. I'd say it's a great gut to practice with until you decide how serious you wanna get, and if it wants to shoot you may just stick with it. Look for an Eric Brooks trigger kit. It's CHEAP. And it works great. Which model CZ is it. The Lux and Trainer have great stocks for shooting off hand with open sights, but getting them to ride bags is a real barrel of monkeys. With a good stock that will ride bags well you should be able to get it to shoot. I'm building one right now just for kicks. We'll have to see how it turns out.

Back