Benchrest Match-Isabella County Sportsmans Club

AJ300MAG

Al Walewski
The Isabella County Sportsmans Club (Michigan) hosted a Centerfire Benchrest Match yesterday, 6/09/2012. The unique thing about ICSC is that they have two rifle ranges which run parallel to each other. One range is a 100 yard range, the other range is a 300 yard range. This allows ICSC to run two matches simultaneously, one range can be utilized for a score match while a group match is also in progress on the opposite range. This allows someone who enjoys shooting at 100 yards the chance to participate at the same those who like the challenge of a 300 yard match. Having done this some of the notable scores were,

300 Yard Group Match;
1st. Jim Hutchison ..... .3087 agg
2nd. Lee Hachigian..... .3583 agg
3rd. Kurt Krug........... .4151 agg
Small Group: Jim Hutchison .610"

300 Yard Score Match;
1st. Joe Hynes.......... 248-5X
2nd. Pat Canning....... 245-7X
3rd. David Hill............ 244-4X

Some notables from the match, Mr. Hutchison was also leading the score match until his rifle scope decided to quit working. This was David's first Benchrest match. His mentor Steve Robbins did an outstanding job in prepairing Dave for this match. Also Joe has returned to benchrest competition after taking a few years off. It appears Joe has picked up where he was when he stopped attending matches.

Thanks to Steve Robbins and Harry Ross for taking the time to put on these matches along with the other club members who took the time to assist in the operations involved with sponsoring benchrest matches.

the full match results are contained in the attachment.

Attachments

• ISABELLA 6-9-2012.pdf
    35.3 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
I want to thank the club for a well run match and a lot of fun. This was the first time I shot (any rifle) at 300 yards.

Some of my Lessons-learned:

- 6mm bullet holes are hard to see at 300 yards
- the bullet moves a lot more on a reverse
- conditions (i.e., wind) at 50 yards is just as important as the wind at 250 yards
- and when someone ask me, "how was your group"? I continue to say, "...I can't believe that mothball is 1-1/2 in diameter"?

It was a blast, and I intend to go there for future matches.
Lee

I agree with everything you said Lee. This is a whole different thing shooting at 300. I had a great time and can't wait until the next match. And surely nobody can say it was a trigger pull either. :)

Joe

Back