Benchrest accuracy with Lee Classic Turret Press?

marchboom

I been looking at a few turret presses and really like the Redding T-7. But at $300 it seems a bit high. Looked closely at the Lee Classic Turret Press and was impressed with what I saw on You Tube videos. Was also impressed with the price. I like the cast iron base and the steel stands and turret ring. It really looks sturdy.

I want a turret because I want to set the dies and be done with it. I also want the press to be sturdy. I will be using this as a single station press only, turning the die turret by hand. Watching some of the videos I noticed that the turret does raise up approx .010" when a case is raised up into the die. I'm sure the Redding does not raise up, or if it does it is so small that is doesn't affect anything. To eliminate this turret rise I was wondering if shimming this gap would take the slop out of the press. I don't see anywhere else there could be any slop that would affect accuracy.

Has anyone done any "tightening up" of this press to make it less sloppy? Unless I'm missing something here I think this could be a very accurate, benchrest grade press at a great price.

I been looking at a few turret presses and really like the Redding T-7. But at $300 it seems a bit high. Looked closely at the Lee Classic Turret Press and was impressed with what I saw on You Tube videos. Was also impressed with the price. I like the cast iron base and the steel stands and turret ring. It really looks sturdy.

I want a turret because I want to set the dies and be done with it. I also want the press to be sturdy. I will be using this as a single station press only, turning the die turret by hand. Watching some of the videos I noticed that the turret does raise up approx .010" when a case is raised up into the die. I'm sure the Redding does not raise up, or if it does it is so small that is doesn't affect anything. To eliminate this turret rise I was wondering if shimming this gap would take the slop out of the press. I don't see anywhere else there could be any slop that would affect accuracy.

Has anyone done any "tightening up" of this press to make it less sloppy? Unless I'm missing something here I think this could be a very accurate, benchrest grade press at a great price.

I will commit a bit of Benchrest Herresy here.

In my opinion, all a Press does is furnish the power to insert the case into the Dies, and remove it. The die is what does the work.

If you have ever seen my presses, you will see worn out RCBS Partner Presses, loose as a goose, so to speak. I have modified Dies to where the shell holder seats firmly against the bottom of the Die so as to furnish a positive stop, not relying on the linkage. This is particuarilly important with the seater, which is a modified Redding.

The purpose of a Die is to either size a case or seat the bullet in the most precision way possible. The proof is how straight the loaded round is, and how consistent the shoulder bump and bullet seating is.

It makes no difference what you use as long as those requirements are met.

Try the Lee Turret. Check your rounds. It's that simple.

Watching some of the videos I noticed that the turret does raise up approx .010" when a case is raised up into the die. I'm sure the Redding does not raise up, or if it does it is so small that is doesn't affect anything. To eliminate this turret rise I was wondering if shimming this gap would take the slop out of the press. I don't see anywhere else there could be any slop that would affect accuracy.

Seat your die .010" deeper?

* doghunter *

I'm of the same opinion as Jackie and don't see how a precision press could possibly be any advantage. You need enough slack in the press to let the die do whatever it will do with no help. If you have a "precision press", make sure you have a little slack in the shell holder to allow the die to do what it's supposed to do.

I'm not saying that a precision press is not a good thing but rather saying you need to make sure you take advantage of any and all precision available...in the simplest way possible.

The purpose of a Die is to either size a case or seat the bullet in the most precision way possible. The proof is how straight the loaded round is, and how consistent the shoulder bump and bullet seating is.

It makes no difference what you use as long as those requirements are met.

Try the Lee Turret. Check your rounds. It's that simple.

I'm a newb here, an "outsider" if you will, but I might have some advantage in that I've used nothing but Lee presses for 25-30 years and lots of Lee dies as well. It could be that you're in the same position I was years ago, trying to get involved in this accuracy game while holding the investment down as much as possible. Jackie is spot on by saying the key to the press question is more in the die and shellholder than in the brand of press.

I totally understand your assumption that the "slop" in the Lee Turret is a bad thing, but it isn't. As proof, read a few threads here and you'll frequently see shooters talking about using rubber O-rings and various other methods that allow a die, shellholder and case to float just a little and self-center on one another. I think most agree that's a good thing, producing more concentric, consistent rounds.

For what it's worth, I suggest you try the Lee Turret, Lee shellholders and then spend what you save on Forster dies, at least for your benchrest calibers. The Forster micrometer-top dies are a great value in my opinion.

Good luck.

Thanks to all who offered their opinions.

I'm going to set up my dies in a Dillon 550 press to see what kind of accuracy and concentricity I can get. If it works out I'm just going to use this press for my 22-250 varmint rounds.

I'll be using Forster dies and might try the Lee collet die.

Back