Bench suggestions

MRL

The club I belong to is having a meeting this weekend about benches. What is your favorite bench for COMPETITION and if you would post a pic.

I have a few suggestions. Build an exact prototype out of wood, and be ready to modify it based on what you learn by having a number of shooters try it out. I think that it is a good idea to use an adjustable stool when the prototype is being tested, and to be sure to have shooters of a wide range of heights and builds participate. If the members of a club have not had much experience with good benches, and if their current benches have some wobble, they may not really understand that benches that do not move when leaned on are possible to build, and if they do not shoot benchrest, they may not understand the importance of benches having this characteristic. Of course, never go with a design that has seating attached to the bench, or that is unable to be moved.

Last edited:
Guess I should have added more information. We have 10 benches metal frame & wooden top. This range is used at 100,200,300, 385, 500M and 600YDS We shoot score matches, groundhog shoots and BPCR matches plus general shooting.

Free offer: If anyone wants a picture posted so that it is big on the page, you can email it to me,and I will put it where you want on this site, or I can tell you how I do it, and you can do it yourself. Pictures are good, and I will do what I can to help.

MRL--If you still need info on the benches, you can look on the readerange.org site and/or come up and check the benches out, they are about like the Williamsport benches. The schedule is on the site too, since you live probably pretty handy from reade.

Back