Beginners rest from $150 to $200

aaatkr

I will be using the rest for informal target shooting and varmint hunting. The rifle is the Savage LRPV in 223. Can anyone recommend a good front rest for these purposes in my
price range? Thanks.

Last edited:
IMO the best all-round setup is the heavy "X-Shaped" sand bag like Uncle Bud's Bulls Bag ((((( http://www.unclebudsbullsbags.com/pages/12 MUTI-BAG.12.html ))))) the granddaddy of them all.

There are many companies offering these now. A setup like this in combination with a rear Protektor style bag, some shot bags and some blocks of wood will allow you to scrupulously test any sort of shoulder fired weapon to the best of its ability.

al

a used sinclair....

i started with a midway( not the current so called br)....a simple rest that worked well and even better when i filled the legs with lead.

upgraded to a sinclair, and the added a windage top.

mike in co

ps...add wind flags to your list...right after the rest.

A friend of mine just bought a Midway(Caldwell??) coaxial rest. I think it was under $150.00 with a front bag. I looked at it and it is not a Farley but on the other hand it ain't $800.00 either. For the shooting you describe it sure looked as if it would work well.

Mike Swartz

Consider a bipod?

Depending on your use in the field you might look at a quality bipod as more convient and also good on a bench with a soft rear bag.

Cheers, ;)

A friend of mine just bought a Midway(Caldwell??) coaxial rest. I think it was under $150.00 with a front bag. I looked at it and it is not a Farley but on the other hand it ain't $800.00 either. For the shooting you describe it sure looked as if it would work well.

Mike Swartz

Mike I also bought one of the new Caldwell rests, and sent it back the day after I tried it out. The corse elavation knob stripped on the first try to loosen it. When I finally got the height set I tried making fine adjustments with the fine adjustment leaver and it was terriable. Jerky and not smoth at all. I'd stay away from them all together. JMHO John

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the Cowan Rest is still $210 Delivered

That would make it no more than a $200 rest not delivered most likely.

Its a Great rest at a great price and all proceeds go towards a great program of community service

Contact Joe Cowan at jcowan1@aasdcat.com

cowan.jpg

aaatkr
For $150-$200 you should be able to find a used Hart rest. Might get lucky and have a speed screw attached. The Hart is a proven rest that accepts up-grades such as a windage top.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

I'll second the vote for the Hart.
chino69

aaatkr ...

I'll gladly and enthusiastically add two ... no, make that three ... additional votes for the Cowan Rest. Art

Thanks. I've narrowed it down to the Caldwell Fire Control, the Hart Varminter or Sinclair Basic or BR rest. All are about $200. Any opinions?

I had a Caldwell once. I gave it away. Go with the Hart or Sinclair. Art

I had a Caldwell once. I gave it away. Go with the Hart or Sinclair. Art
Is it the accuracy from the rest or...?
Are some home made sandbags better than the fire control?
What I need is a good rest when I’m building up hunting loads and would like to eliminate my own errors when test shooting :)

Regards Bjarne

I got my Cowan last year, and you will not find a better rest for $250 in my opinion.

I had a Caldwell Rock BR and it was a decent starter rest. The windage top left a lot to be desired, but I was just buying what I saw other people using and the price was right.

Cowan rest!

Post # 7...............

WIN, WIN, WIN.....

Built RIGHT...Solid top to bottom... Performs....!

Not to be beat for under 250.00 shipped.!

+
This supports a VERY good cuase with young people learning the machine trade... Joe Cowan!!! A good'n!:)

Won't be dissapointed..!

cale

Back