Bbl Tenion for an RPA Quadlite action

bob3700

All,

I am in the progress of machining a fireforming bbl for my RPA Quadlite action. The action is new so I don't have an old bbl to work from.

The recoil lug supplied with the action is going to be left off the action as I am preparing a center type lug (like the Barnard actions) so the rifle can have switch bbl capabilities.

Now to my question. The first .500" forward part of the Quadlite recervier ring is not threaded. The illustration supplied with the action shows the bbl tenion about .002" smaller than the action and I assume this diameter is to fit the recoil lug and then slip into the front (non-threaded portion) of the recevier.

Is this non threaded portion of the tenion necessary? Can I just thread the action ala Remington and let the bbl shoulder butt against the front of the action? I don't see why not but this is the first RPA Quadlite I have fitted.

Also, the RPA drawings don't specify a dimension (clearance) between the end of bbl tenion and the face of bolt lugs (total length of the tenion). Most actions I have researched call out .005" for clearance between these two surfaces. Is this acceptable for the RPA Quadlite?

As there is no recess or coned surfaces, I assumed I could use .005" on the RPA as well.

Thanks for your help.

Bob

Seems different doesn't it. They shoot and perhaps the reason is important. Can't see why not but I would do it their way. I split the difference between methods here and go .007"

Last edited:
Quadlite

Al & Dan Warner have barreled a couple of my Quadlites and its nothing like that.

I see the turned section in front of the threads. Is that bbl from a Quadlite action?

The turned section in front of the threads looks way too long for a Quadlite. The segment in the mouth of the receiver that is unthreaded is only about .500" long. That bbl looks like the unthreaded section is much longer than .500".

Criver600: Is your bbl tenion more like a Remington?

That unthreaded portion of the tenion is not spec'ed to touch the action body. So I can't see how it provides any support for the bbl. That support will come from the threads pulling the shoulder of the bbl into the face of the action.

I guess that is what I am figuring right now.

Bob

Quadlite

yes

If i were betting I think that pic is the muzzle end threaded for a suppressor:cool:

I understand that the non threaded lead in was designed for the quadlocking range of actions (RPA & Millennium) so that the barrel could be turned to a matching fit to assist guiding the barrel into a constant alignment.

My gunsmith avers that for the fit to be capable of achieving that outcome, the likelihood would be that the SS barrel would gall on the action with understandably dire consequences & that precision fitting will achieve that result anyway. Since he has fitted three barrels now to the same action with minimal change to MPI of my scope, I'm happy to accept his logic - and competence.

John

According to the directions that come with the action, the straight unthreaded section in the front of the action is used to locate the barrel in the center of the action. Turn a short straight section on the barrel with about .001 clearance to slip into this section when turning the barrel stub. Just subtract the thickness of the recoil lug from the overall length of the straight section in the drawing and go for it. You can pin the recoil lug and still change barrels if you want to and have the action go back in the same way every time. The quadlite was a great action for the money and I sure love mine!

I understand that the non threaded lead in was designed for the quadlocking range of actions (RPA & Millennium) so that the barrel could be turned to a matching fit to assist guiding the barrel into a constant alignment.

My gunsmith avers that for the fit to be capable of achieving that outcome, the likelihood would be that the SS barrel would gall on the action with understandably dire consequences & that precision fitting will achieve that result anyway. Since he has fitted three barrels now to the same action with minimal change to MPI of my scope, I'm happy to accept his logic - and competence.

John

John, 487 posts and finally you got one right. Pal you should go out and celebrate. Rad

Rad,

I'm blessed.

To think that after joining this forum as recently as July 7 this year, you've had the time, energy & perseverence to read all my postings way back to when I joined, then assess the appropriateness of each and every one to the subject matter with such sure judgement to come to that conclusion just blows me away.

I'm in awe of you.

John

Back