BAT model M dual port.

Tony Z

I know some of you are going to say that i should be asking BAT machine this question, but i thought i would ask here first in case there is someone who has atempted this modification.
I have for some time had in my possession a RBRPRE BAT M action. With the view to use it as a 1K action, i would prefer to load from the left side. Has anyone any knowledge of the difficulty of machining a port in the left side to basically turn it into a dual port? If so what tooling is best used?
Being in Australia, selling it to upgrade is not an option due to the red tape and waiting time to receive another action.

Thanks in advance. Tony Z.

i talked with BAT about this very thing a while back. Bruce said anything is possible but somethings are not viable or practical. Bruce says the bolt wont feel right after the cut and he had a couple other reasons not to do it but i dont really recall what they were. the picture was pretty clear that the hole idea wasnt a good one. I dont know about were you live but winter is approaching us here in the midwest, and for me this is the perfect time for a long haul project. Sell the action if it isnt what you really want and get what you need, or want. life is short set your rifle up properly and shoot it!! Good luck friend!! Lee

One of the reasons that it isn't a good idea is that both ports would be large & rigidity of the action would be compromised.

There are many dual port actions available, just that the ejection port isn't as big as the loading port. I think some loading ports are made to big anyway. However, Stolle used to offer a dual port, and both ports were fairly big. Ultimately, I would follow BAT's advice.

Back