BAT ejector tuning tips and tricks?

DSM

Chuck
I have a BAT B in RBLPRE. I never had an ejector on a BR rifle before and it seems to eject the cases a bit too far away and forward of the action. What can I do to tone down the ejection force so my cases just drop out closer to my action? I'd like to have them just plop out and drop straight down on my billy towel.

Cut the spring a tiny bit at a time? How do you have yours set up to eject? Tips? Tricks? I really don't want my brass falling off the bench...

Cut the spring a tiny bit at a time? How do you have yours set up to eject? Tips? Tricks? I really don't want my brass falling off the bench...

Yes, you can try reducing the spring force, but I recommend you first try slowing down the speed with which you pull the bolt back. If you go really slow, the cartridge won't even leave the receiver. If you go really fast, it bounces hard off the rear of the ejection port and lands on the bench forward of the receiver. If you go just right, well you get the idea...

Hope this helps,
Keith

You're on the right track. I have had numerous BATs and cut the springs all back. IMHO you don't want to fix this by running the bolt slowly if you are competing. You get in a situation where you want brass to fly before that cross range switch makes it to your lane and the last thing you'll be thinking about is pampering the bolt.

Just have patience and don't be in a hurry. I think I usually wind up with 2-3 coils removed - not much. good luck....

I have a BAT B in RBLPRE. I never had an ejector on a BR rifle before and it seems to eject the cases a bit too far away and forward of the action. What can I do to tone down the ejection force so my cases just drop out closer to my action? I'd like to have them just plop out and drop straight down on my billy towel.

I have the same setup on both of my BAT actions, RBLPRE.

Yes! Trim the ejector spring a little at a time until your brass ejects maybe 2 to 3 inches and then drops onto a small rug or towel or some other type of cushion to protect your brass after it falls.

By trimming the spring, you don't have to worry about adjusting your bolt use manners or technique.

If you over-trim the spring, you can always replace it, and then start over. The springs from BAT are inexpensive, and it's not a bad idea to have a spare on hand anyway. :)

I cut about 3 coils off and it works great even running the bolt and various speeds. I need to hunt for a nice plastic box or something I can line with foam or tool box liner. I think this ejector stuff is great. Shoulda done it years ago! LOL

In my opinion, cutting coils is not the best solution. Dave Coots advised me to go to a spring with smaller diameter strands in the coils, and he found that the spring in a BIC cigarette lighter (cut to length) worked well for him. I put one in my BAT Model B and have not had any problems since. Good shooting....James

Back