Barrel thread and chamber ???

MRL

Should a "good" gunsmith be able to take an action. Take the needed measurments and fit a barrel to that action without having the action in hand during the whole process?

Barrel fit

G/day mate, The only way is if you have a stub from a pevious fit or I have a stub drawing with the relevant dimentions that I have used on the action in a previous fit. Regards Mel

If the action is manufactured to standard tolerances, such as a Bat or Kelbly, yes. In fact, it is done quite often.

But, not all action manufacturers hold tolerances this close, and unless you have a barrel that came off that was correct, it would be a good idea to have the action in hand to insure everything is correct.

One thing to keep in mind, many of us use the same brass from Rifle to Rifle. This type of precision transcends the idea of taking an action, regardless of the make, and expecting to achieve that sort of result. In order to do this, you just about have to treat each action separate. That means taking criticle measurements, recording them, and sometimes even firing the Rifle to insure that the brass comes out of it the same as another Rifle.

This is not the fault of the action manufacturers. Every machine part is built to a set of tolerances. These tolerances are suitable to insure that standard barrels will install and the criticle dimensions will be within the spects as set forth by the powers that be..............jackie

Maybe I am not understanding your answer Jackie but if I hand my action to my gunsmith can he (should he be able to) measure the ??whatever and return the action to me to keep using while he does the next barrel thread and chamber

MRL
i have had this conversation with some of the best gunsmiths in the business.Without the action in hand they can fit a barrel but if you want it marked with the chambering they prefer having the action on hand.If you don't care where it is marked its not a problem.
Waterboy

Lynn,

There is Jig for getting that right too. If he has your action in hand to do all the measuring, he might just as well screw in the jig and see where the marks line up.

Paul

The fellow asked, I believe, if I had the action in hand. You need to make a barrel stub for each receiver you are going to work on. Put it in the mill with an indexing head. Scribe 12 radial lines on the od and number them. Screw it in the receiver and note which number lines up with the location you want your lettering on. Mark this info in your book on that receiver. I will picture the following tool for you. The first one with the micrometer head is for comparing headspace, bolt nose clearance, and lettering location from an existing barrel. Put your headspace gage in your barrel and screw the gage on and take a measurement and also mark the location of your lettering off the old barrel. Write this measurement and lettering location in your book for that receiver. I have another tool that slides in the old barrel that looks like a car valve. The angle on the bottom matches the cone angle. Slide it into the barrel and take a measurement and write it down in your book. You will now be able to chamber a barrel and letter it without having a barrel or receiver in hand. You can buy a Panda thread insert and a Viper insert to use as thread checkers. One of those is good for the Bats also. I do have thread mics that I purchased from Gene Bukys.
DSC02292.jpg

I will not take up bandwidth showing the valve like tool or the barrel stub as you know what they look like. I hope this is self explanatory.
Butch

Last edited:
Chambering without the action...

It can be done....

Makes test firing by the gunsmith an imposibility....

It is a practice frowned upon by gunsmith insurers....

Nat Lambeth

Nat,
Hey Bud, does that mean the brake pads and struts that I sent my son,Scott, in Virginia may be dangerous. So how do you do a glue in for a rebarrel? I have a special Starrett depth mic with one leg, but I still do not have enough room to measure the old receiver that is glued in.
Butch

It can be done....

Makes test firing by the gunsmith an imposibility....

It is a practice frowned upon by gunsmith insurers....

Nat Lambeth

huhhh????

different worlds I guess!

I wouldn't dream of using s gunsmith that couldn't do it from a drawing, or my description......

"test fire"?????

Good Grief Charlie Brown, if a gun needs to be test fired it's got serious problems.

It's not a prototype.

al

Rebarre from print or old barrel tendon

Nat,
Hey Bud, does that mean the brake pads and struts that I sent my son,Scott, in Virginia may be dangerous. So how do you do a glue in for a rebarrel? I have a special Starrett depth mic with one leg, but I still do not have enough room to measure the old receiver that is glued in.
Butch

Butch:

I keep a notebook of every barrel I do. It contains the Customers Name, The action serial number, and a list of measurements. If the action has not been altered I can easily make a second barrel.

I can also reverse engineer a new barrel from and old barrel if done correctly.

As I said in the previous post it can be done. Best practice, probably not.

Butch, I prefer to test fire every barreled action for fit and function.

I thought Scott was going to law school so he can get someone like you and me to change his brakes out.

Have agreat 4th of July

Nat

Cheapscape not...

Nat,
He is a cheapskate like a lot of people. Maybe when he gets out, he will go back to letting shops do his work.
Butch

Butch:

He maybe frugel but not a cheapscape. He grew up in and around your shop. He has just discoverd his old man may have been right about alot more things then he was given credit for years ago. I was very impressed with your son when I met him. He is instilling good values in your grandson and that is a direct reflection of what he was taught. You once said he exhibited more of his mothers DNA. Don't short yourself you are 50% of the equation. He may just want to get the best price and know the work was done correctly.

Remember in my day job I deal with both starving lawyers and rich ones.

Have a great 4th.

Nat

Locating caliber markings on outside of barrel

enraving-locater.jpg

This is what I use to transfer where the engraving needs to be located from one barrel to the next. This one is a 1 1/16-18 thread and is graduated around the circumference of the tool. Screw it on until it shoulders against the old barrel, read what the marking says where it lines up with the engraving from the previous barrel and then screw it onto the new barrel. Engrave the new barrel at the same number marking that the old barrel had and you're good to go.

Back