Barrel resembles a bananna

R

Rhys

Chambered up a barrel today that was driving me nuts. I chamber through the headstock with a spider. Use 2 indicators one on each end to get it close then use an inside indicator with a 2 inch probe to get it the last bit comparing at the entrance and then as far in as I can reach. On the breach end it was less than a needles with out righ off the bat. When I flipped it to crown the barrel setting up the same way it got interesting. After cutting 1.25" off I used the probed indicator and got it right where the crown will be. Run the indicator in and .005 is as good as it would get before running out of range to move the barrel in the spider. I could get it to less than .0001 at the crown, and then running the probe in after about a half inch it goes to hell all at once. Looking soen the barrel while it's turning looks like someone is using it as a jump rope. Looks like the bore starts straight and then just takes off for God knows where. Right now the run out is all going in the horizontal plane. The vertical plane is good. I'm not exactly holding much hope for this barrel to shoot well, but we'll see if it's even going to group. If it groups well I'll bump the breech forward to get the arc running in the vertical plane so it won't have as much of an effect at distance as it would if left in the horizontal, or at least that is my train of thought. This should be a straight forward simple thing to do, but this one has just fought me from the beginning.

PREDICTION!!!

It's gonna' shoot like a house afire! :)

Seriously, "straight barrels don't shoot...."

:D

al

In the past I would setup barrels between centers with a steady rest, and had very good results, but decided to swithch to suing a different techinques after talking with a few very accomplished smiths who have been at this for longer than I have. I've always know that the bore will have some runout in any barrel, this is just onw of the worst I've run into in a couple years. Come to think of it the last one that was this bad was from the same maker.

i read somewhere

first, i am not a machinest!
now i got that off my chest, i read an article of one that would indicate his barrels for that exact reason. according to the article they all bow and that smith made sure it pointed dead center and up. the reasoning was if it threw the bullet it would be on a verticle string mode and one could find the sweetspot with an audette test. sounded kosher to me. well at least to one that is not a machinest. as i recall it was an article on chambering in the VHA magazine. Fred

I'm trying to understand what you are saying. Did you say you indicated both ends with pins and then indicated the throat? What did the muzzle end look like at that time or did you recheck it? When you turned it around to crown, did you indicate both ends again?
Butch

Butch,

I'm trying a few newer methods to set up for chambering as I know there has got to be a more accurate method than I have been using. In the past I would set the barrel between centers, and cut a straight section at the muzzle leaving a shoulder of about .100 followed by a short straight section that would be used to fun an indicator off of. A very light clean up cut would be taken at the chamber end so the steady rest would be riding on a point concentric with the bore. Then the muzzle end would be held in a 4 jaw and indicated off of the short band that had been turned earlier. The chamber end would be held with a center in the tailstock, and the steady rest set. It was a quick setup method that in conjunction with a manson floating reamer holder would give some very good results for the type of rifles I have typicaly built. (Live varmint, and predator rifles typically shooting in the low .3's)

On the past couple I've done I set up through the head stock. Initially they are indicated as close to zero as I can get at the muzzle and chamber ends using 2 indicators on the exterior of the barrel. This is only intended to get things close enough to indicate off the bore with an indicator with a longer probe. When indicating on the bore I indicate at 2 points on the chamber end. One point just inside after cutting about .75 off, and then the second point as far in as I can reach about 2". I make any adjustments needed to get these 2 points running on the same axis with each other, and do my threading and chambering from that point. The theory being that the bullet will be starting into the bore on the same axis as the bore. I haven't had to adjust out more than .001 over those 2" on any of the barrels I've used this method with. In this particular case it was within .0002 already so I left well enough alone. I'm still using the floating manso holder as my tail stock is right at .008 high, but square and in alignment is all other aspects. The Manson holder corrects for this very nicely.

I went to use the same method to align off the last couple inches of the bore for the crown removing 1.25", and couldn't get it to align. The bore started straight, and then developed a curve that got progressively worse as it neared the muzzle. The bore is exactly in the center of the barrel at the muzzle, but runs out rapidy as you go back from the muzzle. With the barrel spinning in the lathe the chamber, throat, next inch or so of the bore, and the bore at the crown appear stationary. The interveening area looks like a jump rope.

What I ended up doing to cut the crown was to indicate off the outside of the barrel at the chamber end, as it had already been dhown to be concentric to under .0002 with the bore. At the same time I indicated off the bore at the muzzle end, and when both ends were showing effectively no needle movement I crowned the barrel at that point.

The other barrels I have used this method with I have been able to setup the chamber to be inline with the first couple inches of the bore, and the crown to be square to the last couple inches, but this one just had too much curve in the last couple inches at the muzzle to make it happen. I tend to cut all my crowns as recessed 90 degree because I feel it is the easiest to make clean, sharp and concentric. It also works well to protect the crown on rifles that tend to spend a lot of time riding in the truck or in the field.

for the

Time it so the curve goes 6 and 12.

Then shoot it. So long as it's a barrel made by someone who knows how to make barrels I bet it shoots fine.

Hell, I bet it shoots great.

Don't sweat it.

When indicating on the bore I indicate at 2 points on the chamber end. One point just inside after cutting about .75 off, and then the second point as far in as I can reach about 2". I make any adjustments needed to get these 2 points running on the same axis with each other, and do my threading and chambering from that point. The theory being that the bullet will be starting into the bore on the same axis as the bore.

Oh Boy, here we go again Butch!!! Now the muzzle is pointing as he says God knows where. Now we are going to index the horizontal to the vertical, wow!!! After indexing, what happens to the chamber that was all lined up?

The Never Ending Search............

For solutions to problems that do not exist.

Or maybe the never ending quest in search of practicle applications to pet theory's.

I have a barrel in my poccession that when I cut 5 inches off of the muzzle end, the ID and OD suddenly run out about .010 with each other. (keep in mind, it ran dead true between centers before cutting to length).

That means, during the deep hole drilling, the Gun Drill decided to take a pretty severe turn, for what ever reason. From a Machinist view, that can't be a good thing.

I was going to send it back as it appears to have a similiar spot about 4 inches up from the chamber end. But I just might chamber that thing up and see how it shoots. It might answer some questions........jackie

Jerry,

When I time it over 90 degrees it should have no effect on the existing chamber as it was already straight with the bore. The weather looks as though it is going to cooperate today, so I will be bolting everything together, and see if it is going to cooperate.

Jerry,

When I time it over 90 degrees it should have no effect on the existing chamber as it was already straight with the bore. The weather looks as though it is going to cooperate today, so I will be bolting everything together, and see if it is going to cooperate.
Hey, for heaven sakes, lite it up and shoot it. Let us know. It may be the best barrel you ever did.
I've had barrels with bad curves that shoot fine. My concern and the reason I made that comment is that you are going to a lot of trouble that,IMO, will not add value to the final product.

Same here, I have done many from different makers, almost always shoot great! Most of the time you want to throw them away. I can tell you the brand that I have used the most that "does'nt" show that is Lilja! I am not a salesman just facts. I recently machined up a Shilen and I thought I'd never get it to indicate. I use Shilen barrels frequently and never had a problem. I'm still waiting to see how it does, but I bet its good.

Dont sweat it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back