barrel life expectancy of a 6XC

tillroot1

I am wondering what kind of barrel life that the people shooting a 6XC are getting? I have heard they are barrel burners and would like to get some opinions. thank you, Ron Tilley

Ron, I've only re-barreled one 6XC so far - a PacNor 3-groove 8-twist on a customer's rifle. He's the kind of shooter who would be at least as hard on a barrel as a 1000yd. BR shooter - except he doesn't clean barrels nearly as often. It's not unusual for him to sit and shoot up a couple of 50rd. boxes of ammo at steel targets from 600-1000yds., with not a whole lot of time allowed to let the barrel cool between shots. He was using N560 & mostly DTAC 115s (moly'd), and put at least (according to him) 3300rds. through it before "accuracy kinda fell off". After I borescoped it, I could see why - there wasn't any sign of lands for well over an inch ahead of the chamber.

many variables!!!!

HI Ron...I have worn out several 6mm bbls in my life ....mostly 6mmBR and or .243 win....(one 6mmx284)...I think the type of powder, cleaning regiman, round count per hour, and bbl.manufacture (cut vs. button and cryo treatment or not) are as important as cal selection......I have found the cut bbls to wear much better (slower erosion-longer accuracy life)....
Wild guess ....the type of competition you do ....and the care you take of your equipment ....and the accuracy you require....2500-3000 rds max...Roger

Ron, I have two 6XC's in use right now. One just hit 1500 rounds and looks almost perfect through the borescope. I shot it at 1000 a couple of weeks ago and accuracy is still as good as ever. The other has 400 rounds through it and it is as good as new in every respect. I can't say that about the 6.5-284 barrels at those round counts!

I shoot H4831sc, moly 115 Bergers and clean every 70 shots +- a few shots. I won't predict barrel life based on this small sample, but it's already a lot better than the 6.5-284's were for me.

German Salazar

Interesting cartridge comparison chart from 6br website, 6xc similar to 6.5x55 cartridge;

15foroo.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting cartridge comparison chart from 6br website, 6xc similar to 6.5x55 cartridge;

15foroo.jpg

Don

I see at least one person has read that article I posted on accurate shooter some time ago. That is an analysis I did attempting to define what really overbore means, because way to many people use it, without any definition. The other part of that analysis is that it appears to also indicate barrel life in a very general way.

Back