Barrel flushing systems

skeetlee

Fellas,
I have had a couple good conversations with a good friend of mine about how to make an affordable barrel flushing systems for chambering barrels. I have researched a little, and i am starting to see how to approach this. I was hoping some of you fellas here might be able to share your experiences on this topic. Pictures would be huge if you care to share.
Another good friend of mine just added a flush system, to help aid him in barrel chambering, He spent big dollars. He is using a hydraulic pump, and i think he has around 1500 bucks invested. I dont want to spend 1500$. Actually i cant afford 1500$ for something like this, so i am hoping to accomplish this task for say, 300$. Can i do it? Lee

Make e-bay your friend Lee. I bought a pump and a rotary union off there. They are the most expensive parts you are gonna need to get a usable system. I bought a standard water filet unit and installed a larger micron filter in it. I did install a tapered seat valve that doesn't really need to be in there. I would just install a bypass line that has a quarter turn valve in it to regulate the pressure you need.

I plan on adding a flexible nozzle on this bypass line for coolant for work right at the chuck.

Do some searches on here and you should be able to find some pics of rigs others have set up.

Joe

Oh, one other thing I have learned is about the coolant used. I bought a gallon of stuff from MSC I believe, that you mix with water. I do not like the way it works. I read on one of the reamer manufactures pages that they do not recommend this type of coolant. When I get my machine set up again, I will get a bucket of dark thread cutting oil. That is what most of the guys on here recommend.

Joe

Highpreasure flush system....

In my opinion you get what you pay for... High quality barrels are both expensive and timely to get. Reamers are also relatively expensive. The first book I ever read about chambering the author used Rigid Dark threading oil and a $2.00 plastic pump driven by an electric drill. He made his own crude but effective rotary coupler.

There is only two reasons to use a highpresure flush system. The first is "time = money". The second is tools/reamers today are made to run at higher speed they require coolant lubricants to acheive their preferred speed. I have reamers that have over 2000 chambers cut on them without regrind.

A highpreasure flush system is purely ecconomics in a shop doing lots of barrel work. If you are a hobbiest or recreational shooter a highpreasure flush system is a luxuary.

I spent about $800 not including scrap materials and labor, building my highpreasure flush system. It paid for itself the first month.

Nat Lambeth

Sorry I took so long for a reply chino. I have been st the Super Shoot for the last 10 days.

Yes I have been using the dark thread cutting oil like Ridgid or the Oatey they sell in town. I read about it on here and it seems to work pretty good.

Joe

barrel flushing

i'm a newbie but i have used 5 gal. bucket,small bilge pump with recovery pan and gravity return.use DC only! this is temporary of course but many dealors sell small pumps. w. granger for one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is what i have kinda been thinking about lately. I think i may turn My Air Bomb portable tank into a flush system. This will be a one way flush system powered by compressed air. If i fill the air Bomb air tank with 5gal of cutting fluid, and then pressurize the tank to say 25lb, couldnt i force the fluid down the barrel one way and just have a catch system on the other? For this system i have everything except the union. I am thinking no more barrels that what i will ever do, why wouldnt this work? Lee

Back