Barrel Contour for Panda

gzig5

I've just picked up a Panda that I think was set up for Hunter BR. Chambered in 30x47 Imp on a RB LP Panda repeater action, McMillan stock. Barrel is in good shape and I plan to set back to 30BR because I have the dies and reamer. I'd like to use this rifle for ground squirrels and have decided to go with 22BR in 8" twist to be able to shoot heavier bullets when needed. Current barrel is 23" total, .810 at muzzle with 2" cylindrical section in front of the action. Taper is about .020" dia per inch. Balance point seems about right, there doesn't seem to be any weight in the butt. I'm "thinking" I want a #19 Hunter contour. I'm concerned with the balance and getting too muzzle heavy. Which off the shelf contour would give similar balance finished at 24-26"? I know I can get a custom contour and am half hour away from Krieger's shop but I hope to be able to find a barrel quickly to have time get ready for the spring trip. The #19 isn't in stock anywhere I've looked and I want the longer breach section to be able to set back down the road. Appreciate any suggestions or leads.

I found the barrel calculator in the Gunsmith section and that clears up how much more the barrel would weigh. Looks like 6oz heavier for a 26" Hunter #19 and 1.2 lbs for the 26" LV contour over the current .30 cal barrel. Still don't know what that means to the balance point though.

Hunter Rifle Dimensions

Hello Gzig5,

If you plan to use this Panda for registered IBS or NBRSA hunter competition, it is not within the rules. The receiver is too wide and is most likely glued into the stock. The Stolle Kodiak action is the choice of a lot of competitors and it meets specification. There is a complete description of the dimensions and specifications for both organizations shown in their respective rule books. The other item that may disqualify a Panda for hunter use is it is most likely a single shot action with no provision for a magazine. This is part of both organizations rules. The hunter contour on a barrel is described by most barrel manufactures. The length is usually modified to make weight (10 lb max) based upon the what components (stock, action,scope). The other items that are needed for hunter competition are required for registered use is a 6X scope and a stock with no more than 2-1/4" wide for end. All of these requirements are in the available on line rule books.

Good Luck
Randy Perkowski

Randy,

Thanks for the information. I wasn't aware of the action width rule. I'm not sure if the previous owner shot in registered events. We don't have much in this area. It is a repeater though with a magwell, spring, and follower but no ejector, 2 1/4" wide stock and I bet it would come in pretty close to 10lbs. I'd be just playing with it for the time being. It might have a future in F-Class too.

My big concern is that the HV looks like a sewer pipe, and is about as heavy and the LV isn't far behind. I obviously won't be carrying this in the field other than from the truck to the bench, but I don't want it falling forward off the rest because it is so front heavy. My main experience is with position rifles and while forward bias is good, there can be too much of a good thing.

Greg

Greg, I'd bet the rifle was being used in varmint for score if it was ever used to compete. There are lots of people who build the same type rifles for their own enjoyment that we shoot in benchrest who never intend to compete. Varmint for score is hunter class shot with normally a short range benchrest rifle that will weigh up to 13.5 pounds. Most people shoot it with a heavy varmint class rifle if they have it just because they are allowed the extra weight. Varmint for score allows single shot actions, 3" wide forends and any other rules that apply to the varmint classes of either the IBS or NBRSA. If I was going to compete with the rifle, I'd put a HV taper barrel on it and enough weight in the butt to get it up an ounce or two under 13.5 pounds and compete with it in varmint for score provided they have that close to where you live.

Sorry about the mixup, I didn't see your post above this one. You have a Hunter class rifle which is the 2 1/4" wide forend and the magazine cut in the action. You can shoot a hunter class rifle in either hunter or in the varmint for score matches. For a Hunter class rifle, you are limited in barrel contour to a maximum contour that conforms to the hunter class taper. You can't use a LV or HV taper on it and still be legal for hunter class. The hunter class contour is something like 1.250 for so many inches and tapering to .750" at 29". This from memory so don't take that for gospel. Any barrel makers contour that they mark as hunter class will work though as they make it to fit the rules. I think the hunter class rifle weight limit is 10 pounds with scope so any new barrel would have to be cut to allow the rifle to make weight with the new barrel. NBRSA rules do have a 1.400" action width maximum requirement for hunter class.

Last edited:
Mike,
Thanks for the clarification. The rifle was built by Milwaukee area gunsmith Jim Stummeier. I picked it up at our club swap meet recently. Jim is retired, sold off his shop, and is selling off his stash because he can't get around very well any more after a fall during deer season a couple years ago. I can call him and get some more details if I need to. Minor trivia factoid...Jim was on the cover of the March 1968 issue of The American Rifleman, pictured with a 7' cougar he took in Montana. Really nice fellow.

After talking to Krieger this morning I'm going with a #17 Heavy Varmint taper .224 1-8" twist. This barrel will be used for ground squirrels and prairie dogs, and might see some F-class action. I need to see what BR matches are available within a reasonable distance. This area is great for Highpower XTC and LR/Palma but I haven't seen much BR activity over the years. The current barrel and a good 6mm PPC Krieger take off I have may be put to action in BR once I figure that out. Hardest part is getting time on the weekends to compete.

Since I have your ear, one more question if I might. This Panda action is setup with a .308 bolt face. Will it reliably extract PPC cases? I know some of the custom actions will but haven't found any info on the Panda regarding that topic. This could open some options down the road if it will. Thank you.

Greg

Greg, to answer your last question, I have 6 Pandas ranging from vintage 1992 to 2012, all have 308 bolt faces, all shoot and reliably extract the 6PPC/220 Russian case. One is even RBLPRE and it works fine.

Pour it on!!

Excellent. Thank you for your time. I'm sure I'll be back for more as the journey progresses.

Back