Barrel Cleaning

K

Kimberguy2004

How often do you do it, particularly you guys who shoot Hunter Benchrest?

between every relay, or every 10 shots when practicing. 1/2 shooter's choice and 1/2 kroil. When it's all over, the same, plus JB bore cleaner followed by JB bore bright. I know people who use the bore bright between relays, as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
After the ...

After the match (all five relays). If the complete match consists of 100 and 200 yards, I clean between the 100/200 matches.

I use Sweets, Butches with a bronze brush, and kroil followed by a dry patch.

I shoot a 30Hbr moving at 3020 velocity, with BIB 136, 10 ogive bullets.

Good shooting,
virg

Varmint hunter with custom barrels

I'm primarily a live varmint hunter with custom rifles and barrels. I clean after every 20 rds. for the custom rigs.

For a factory bore, the frequency is extended a little but not much; 30 to 50 rds.

Chino69

I'm primarily a live varmint hunter with custom rifles and barrels. I clean after every 20 rds. for the custom rigs.

For a factory bore, the frequency is extended a little but not much; 30 to 50 rds.
Chino69

Why would you extend the cleaning frequency for a factory barrel that is likely rougher (and more prone to fouling) than a custom barrel??

A few reasons, I believe, vic. For one, custom barrels clean much easier. On a factory rig, the rough spots get fouled over and it takes more rounds for them to settle back in after cleaning.

Cleaning

Why would you extend the cleaning frequency for a factory barrel that is likely rougher (and more prone to fouling) than a custom barrel??

For all the reasons tyler mentioned(above).

And

Because I can't wait until it's shot out so that I can rationalize screwing a custom, hand lapped tube on.

Chino69

Last edited:
Because I can't wait until it's shot out so that I can rationalize screwing a custom, hand lapped tube on.

Good answer, but I have a Savage LRPV in 204 Ruger that is the most accurate rifle I own with its factory barrel. I am in no rush to shoot that one out. I don't think a custom barrel will be any more accurate--and maybe less. So I'm babying the factory barrel and cleaning it every 20 rounds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Accurate factory

Good answer, but I have a Savage LRPV in 204 Ruger that is the most accurate rifle I own with its factory barrel. I am in no rush to shoot that one out. I don't think a custom barrel will be any more accurate--and maybe less. So I'm babying the factory barrel and cleaning it every 20 rounds.

Vic,
By all means enjoy what you have.

Chino69

I got a new 22-250 in July and went through a lot of twists and turns with the barrel cleaning.

It was not uncommon that -- at first -- I spent about as much time cleaning the barrel as I did shooting the rifle.

Now, with more than 300 rds. through the rifle, I have cooled down a little on the cleaning.

I clean about every 25 or 30 rds. I do one wipe with a copper solvent, let the gun sit for an hour or two, then remove the solvent and clean the rifle in the normal manner-- that is, conventional bore solvent, dry patches, and a final patch to leave a film of oil.

At this point, I suspect I am not leaving that much copper residue in the barrel.

I'm certainly no expert . . . but I would advise against getting too panicky, convinced the bore is plated with copper. Maybe it isn't.

You have a bore scope -- I do not, and my 22 bore is too narrow for me to see much. I get some idea on the amount of copper residue by examining how much blue green color is found on patches when I wipe out the solvent.

Good luck.

Back