Barrel break in

Ajshooter

Jeff Youmans
I have a new set up . Do I work up a load and clean every 10 to 15 loads or shoot 1 clean shoot 1 clean .
This is short range benchrest. 6PPC

I used to go through the 10 to 15 round break in, firing one, cleaning, then two, clean, then three, clean, and so on.

Now, I fire one round, clean it real good, and shoot it. Doesn't seem to make any difference.

I will say this. Doing a "break in" sure doesn't hurt anything, so if you feel better doing it, go ahead. Especially if you have some cases to fireform.

Barrel Break In--New Barrel

There is no one method that is correct.
As in Medicine "First do no Harm"

Don't start until you have the right tools
---correct size patches, cleaning agents and the proper bore guide and cleaning rods with
correct size jag and brush
stable device to hold the gun from moving while cleaning

My usual procedure--this changes slightly from time to time
1.) Make sure the barrel is clean/free from reamer debris
Borescope inspection before you start
Then 2 patches of any cleaner then one dry patch

2.) Fire 2 rounds
Clean barrel with 4 patches of "Carbon Removal Product"
1-2 dry patches

3.) Fire 5 rounds
4 patches of Carbon removal product
1-2 dry patches

4.) Fire 10 rounds
4 patches of Carbon removal
New brush impregnated with Iosso paste to remove the Carbon ring at freebore area
spinning the brush at this area about 30-40 revolutions, I then pass the brush down and back
through the barrel 2-3 times
2 patches of "Accelerator (A Wipe Out Product)" will clean the barrel free of the Iosso
Followed with 2 soaked patches of "Patch Out (Also a Wipe Out product)
I let this soak for 30 minutes or more--This step should remove the Copper

5.) Run 2 dry patches through the barrel
If patches have a lot of blue coloring to the patch you should repeat the Patch
Out/Accelerator steps

6.) After the above steps I considered the "BARREL BROKEN IN"

7.) If your storing the gun I follow the above procedure with a clean patch and a drop of oil on
the 4 corners of the patch

8.) You should monitor your cleaning success & barrel appearance frequently after cleaning
with a Borescope

There are lots of reagents to clean your barrel--They all have their advantages

If you're going to brush use a new one or nearly new one to get the full benefits from brushing.
Buy the brushes 2-3 dozen at a time so you always have a new one available.

Cleaning a barrel is not a pleasure, if your putting the labor in to do it "DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME"

CLP

Last edited:
Allow me to horrify everyone

I think barrel break-in strategies are mostly useful with factory rifles with burrs and machine marks, especially in the leade. A quality barrel with a quality chambering job shouldn't need it. When the bore scope shows potential issues, I have done a bit of lapping even before the first firing. This has given excellent results in making barrels more like match-grade in terms of copper fouling. I have a kit with three grades of lapping compound and am not above using it when the situation calls for it. I don't like wasting bullets and powder in a lengthy quest to reduce fouling.

Factory barrels are getting better. I just bought a Ruger American .22 LR target model with heavy barrel and laminated stock. The quality of the barrel is outstanding. I have no reason to touch it. I have thought about buying an American center-fire, even though any caliber would be redundant, just because of the good barrels.

Back