Barnard-PL Action

L

L.G

Hello Guys, I Have a Barnard-PL Action that I am going to have chambered in .338 Lapua. I am concerned about the recoil lug options, if anyone has any experience They would like to share please feel free to comment.
Thanks Dan

get the thickest you can get and have it pinned multiple times. mine is 1/4" thick with 4 pins. the torque on these rigs is so bad it'll shear off #8 scope base screws if the bases are not pinned.

Dusty, Do you have one of these actions? Are you saying pin a Remington style lug to the action?
Thanks Dan

I have a 338lm made from a defiance which is a modified remington footprint. the barnard offers the remington style recoil lug as an option on the PL actions. with the torque of the 338lm you need that type recoil lug and be sure its a thick one. it'll twist a thin one right around and shear off the action bolts if its not a substantial one thats pinned or welded solid. my experience is only with lighter guns shooting max 300gr loads so a heavier gun may can handle it. ive never shot one that weighed more than 15lbs and ive seen everything on em break.

I have a lot of experience with these being the Canadian dealer for many years. If you use a Barnard bedding block you will use a cap screw which fits into the bedding block as a recoil lug (clean it well and use loctite). If you want to use conventional bedding then use a recoil lug screwed into the recoil lug slot (with loctite). I made them with a three degree draft on three sides to make it easy to pull out of the bedding when needed. The absolute last way I would do it is with a washer type recoil lug, a la rem. Barnards are very hard so I would not attempt to pin them to the action. Any questions then ask.

By the way, Barnards are about the best action made!!!

Last edited:
Ian I need advice on the recoil lug

My new P action uses the post style lug, I need to turn it to fit the bushing in the V block. How tight of fit should I have? Thanks in advance for your help. I can be reached at toms1@atlanticbb.net
I have a lot of experience with these being the Canadian dealer for many years. If you use a Barnard bedding block you will use a cap screw which fits into the bedding block as a recoil lug (clean it well and use loctite). If you want to use conventional bedding then use a recoil lug screwed into the recoil lug slot (with loctite). I made them with a three degree draft on three sides to make it easy to pull out of the bedding when needed. The absolute last way I would do it is with a washer type recoil lug, a la rem. Barnards are very hard so I would not attempt to pin them to the action. Any questions then ask.

By the way, Barnards are about the best action made!!!

My new P action uses the post style lug, I need to turn it to fit the bushing in the V block. How tight of fit should I have? Thanks in advance for your help. I can be reached at toms1@atlanticbb.net

Barnard sell a lug/bolt to suit, but if you do "turn one to fit" make sure there is a relief so the bolt bottoms out on the action, I seen several that didn't and in turn didn't shoot very well.

Back