Bag riser??

tiny68

What do you call the pad that some use under their rear bag to raise to an approperiate height? I think some one called it a donut by I don't get the name. Where do you buy one?

Thanks, Tim

If you don't mind, describe your setup, how much you need to raise your rear bag, and why.

The donut is a rectangular spacer that is made of leather and gives extra height and stability by virtue of having a tube, that the user fills with sand, around its outside edge. The central portion, inside the sand filled tube is not filled. Sinclair sells them. They were devised and first manufactured ( I think) by the late great Skip Otto, and are also referred to as "Otto rings". Because the rules disallow spacers that contain the rear bag, but allow multiple bags, his design cleverly skirts the issue by being a sand bag that just happens to have an advantageous shape. It allows the bottom of hard bottom bags to conform to irregular surfaces, and greatly adds to the stability of soft bottomed bags, while raising both.

We have always known the Skip Otto bag as the "Donut". It's purpose is for stability, not to raise your set-up.

If you need a raising bag under the rear sandbag, you need to look closely at your set-up, Boyd is right. Lower is better for stability, before raising the rear, figure out how to lower the front. That's my main complaint with many of these new rests with all the gadgets, too high.

Paul

If you don't mind, describe your setup, how much you need to raise your rear bag, and why.

I don't own a true BR gun. I make due with my Savages until funds and time (young kids at home into all sports) will allow me to pursue BR more seriously. I shoot club matches at Denton, TX, will requires very low flags on one side. One of my Savages has a aftermarket varmint with enough of a angle on the bottom that makes it hard to get on the target. I use a Caldwell Rock rest or Cowen rest. I use a Protector 43 bag I think is the number. Cordura ears with hard bottom. Bottom of my guns have an adapter on the front which gives a 3" flat surface and that raises the front too much.

Tim

If you have a rear bag with a hard bottom already, you can call Protektor and get a spacer to match for $25 plus shipping. Here's mine:
PICT0475.jpg

Goodgroupers picture is exactly what I was thinking of when I said that the reason for the rear riser is caused by too high a set up.

He has a "low riding" stock coupled with a rather high front rest with a base of something under it making it higher. All that extra height is what has caused his need for the rear riser. It's so high that he needs extra bags to rest his hands on because his setup is now uncomfortable at that height. Goodgroup must like it this way because I notice he also has other high stuff like extra high rings. If you think I'm just picking on you you're wrong. I'm using this opportunity to highlight many things that I see at matches that I don't agree with on rifles. Like the sunshade.... I would bet, if you look around... less than 1% of top shooters use them. There is a reason for that too. Also the flip up scope caps catch wind and wiggle your hole set up while you shoot becoming a nuisance.

Like dad says... Nothing is completely useless, it can always be used as a bad example.

Sooooorry, thats my take on this picture.

Paul

The donut is a rectangular spacer that is made of leather and gives extra height and stability by virtue of having a tube, that the user fills with sand, around its outside edge. The central portion, inside the sand filled tube is not filled. Sinclair sells them. They were devised and first manufactured ( I think) by the late great Skip Otto, and are also referred to as "Otto rings". Because the rules disallow spacers that contain the rear bag, but allow multiple bags, his design cleverly skirts the issue by being a sand bag that just happens to have an advantageous shape. It allows the bottom of hard bottom bags to conform to irregular surfaces, and greatly adds to the stability of soft bottomed bags, while raising both.

Boyd,

I have always called mine a "Prairie Dog Life Raft". That's all I've ever known it as.

Best,
Dan Batko

"Where are we going and why am I in this basket?"

Back