Attended my 1st F-Class match yesterday

Wilbur

cook and bottle washer
AEDC, Tullahoma, TN:

Had a bunch of fun, placed mid-pack, and can't move this morning.

I shot the first 10 OK, but my neck gave out and the next 10 were a matter of "can't give up now".

My old traveling buddy Keith Gantt loaned me his stuff - rifle shot like the hammers of hell.

"F" Class

there ya go Wilbur....good going........ there`s more to "Belly Benchrest" than meets the eye is`nt there....like all shooting sports ... there are good habits you can learn/develop.....like putting your head down to rest neck while target is in the pits........it`s pretty neat to be able to shoot that far, as accurately as we can with this modern equipment....
bill larson

Yes, it is amazing what today's rifles can do. I saw some folks shooting rifles that weren't as capable as others but they were having fun. The rifle I was shooting was every bit as capable as the shooter - perhaps adding to the shooter's capability somewhat. Don't know much about 1000yd shooting but I can recognize a rifle that gives rather than takes away.

It wasn't so much that my neck got tired. It hurt from the first shot on. I suppose, in addition to the minor pain, it began to tire as every neck does - which made it worse.

AEDC, Tullahoma, TN:

I shot the first 10 OK, but my neck gave out and the next 10 were a matter of "can't give up now".

My old traveling buddy Keith Gantt loaned me his stuff - rifle shot like the hammers of hell.

You need to work up to a 20 round match... especially if you're an old fart! ;)

Good going Wilbur, first F-Class match of the year is always the worst. I also shot Tullahoma on Sunday sorry I missed you. Biggest trouble for me, besides the neck thing, was that 1,000 yard berm was slippery as greased owl poop. I had to reposition back to the rifle after every shot. Glad you made a F-Class Match hope to see you there again...

Roland

Last edited by a moderator:
Wilbur, I have been beat up doing CMP Garand matches too. I find a little Advil up front helps a little.
It was also motivation to get back on the workout bandwagon and include a little light jogging to go along with the low impact stuff.
Hope you stick with it.

I would say that it gets easier but it gets harder for me to get up after each relay :) Hip, neck... Getting old ain't for wimps!

AEDC, Tullahoma, TN:

I sure wish I had known you were a shootin at AEDC, I'd a drug my junk out and shot...lol... I just live about 12-15 mi. from the range...
I haven't shot since the 05 Nationals at Oak Ridge, but I still have my junk...lol...
Let me know when you make the next one, I might still be able to pull targets...lol...
FOB---Have a good one...Tater...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back