Atta Boy - Leupolds 30mm Rings

VarmintGuy

The recent hard times have some "go deals" coming out of the woodwork it seems.
A while back I bought a NIB Leupold Long Range 6.5x20 variable scope.
This scope has the side focus for parallax and a 30mm tube.
I own a LOT of scopes and none are 30mm tubed. I would not have bought this one except it was such a great deal.
So I jumped on it.
Now comes time to mount this scope on my Remington 700 Sendero Rifle in caliber 270 Winchester.
This Rifle previously had a Leupold 8.5x25 variable scope on it of the one inch tube type.
I finally found a set of Leupold 30mm rings (I live in a remote corner of Montana) and bought them.
I removed the old 1" rings and began with the rear 30mm ring. I carefully measured and penciled in the center of the ring and the center of the base and then carefully aligned the rear ring to be perfectly perpindicular to the Rifles bore. I use a long Carpenters Square for this.
Then I "turned in" the front ring and again carefully aligned the ring body to be perpindicular to the Rifles bore.
Then with my scope being carefully centered of its adjustments I bore sighted the rings. I do this by simply laying the scope in the bottom halves of the rings and checking it with my 2 bore sighting tools.
Amazingly it only took a few clicks to get the rings to be in a position to attain "centered" for both vertical and horizontal.
I then removed the scope and began to lap the rings.
I had to send to the west coast and have a 30mm lapping tool mailed out to me from a friend, as I don't own a 30mm lapping tool.
Shipping of the tool came to $11.60!
I am worried that the larger 30mm rings may take even more lapping to get to my preffered 75% lapping surface completed?
I have lapped literally hundreds of ring sets in and many are way out of square and these take lots of work to make useable.
Well you could have knocked me over with a feather when I only lapped for about a minute and then I cleaned off the ring surfaces and saw that they were completely (100%!) lapped in!
I mean I could not believe it 100% lapping coverage - and so quickly.
I had never before seen a set of rings that attained 100% lapped surface coverage in just a few seconds worth of lapping!
Its rare that I ever get 100% lapping covergae either!
I was impressed.
In the past I have had to lap many rings for 15 to 20 minutes just to get 60% lapped surface coverage.
These Leupold rings had to have been made with the utmost of care and engineering.
I send kudo's to the folks at Leupold for this level of quality and effort.
Next I cleaned up the rings and placed the scope into them and attached the top halves.
Bore sighting was then done in just a snap!
Atta boy Leupold.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Or you could have got the burris rings with the inserts..........

VarmintGuy

Not to take anything away from Leuplld quality . . . . but being able to quickly and easily lap a set of rings mainly depends on the uniformity of the surface that your rings & base(s) are attached to.

- Innovative

To Varmint Guy.

I liked your story about the scope rings, Sometimes I get so wound up about doing things to my rifles that I can't sleep at night, so I can understand your excitement at having a great rifle with excellent accesseries. What are you going to shoot with the Sendero? This will be my last post for a while as I am finally off into the wilderness for two weeks as of tomorrow night. I have most of my gear packed and about the only thing that might stop me is a big catogary 5 cyclone (hurricane) that is blowing off the Queensland coast. Will just have to keep an eye on the weather for the next 12 hours or so. Will put up a post when I get back and it may be graphic, if my 220 Swift lives up to expectations. Hold into the wind old friendand and kind reguards till I return Murphy.:D:D

Murphy ........

Your right. When an ordinarily tedious job finally goes by in a flash, that's extrordinary . . . . sometimes almost a reason to celebrate. I spend a huge investment of time doing work that some shooters don't understand or even appreciate. To lap in a set of rings in one minute might not make a big flashy story, but it sure can make your day if you're the one doing the work.

- Innovative

Murphy: That 270 Sendero is my main Mule Deer and Antelope Rifle these days.
I have also harvested Whitetailed Deer and one 6x6 Bull Ek with it.
I Hunt public lands for the most part here in Montana and Rifles capable of 400 yard hits in the vitals are often necessary.
Since lapping in the rings and getting the Rifle bore sighted and ready for a trip to the range we have had 11" of snow here in SW Montana! 5 inches one day, 3 inches the next and now its snowing again with 3 additional inches so far!
I had hoped winter was over here in SW Montana!
Hurricanes (cyclones) - now that is ONE thing I don't have to worry about here in SW Montana.
Best of luck on your venture. Let us know how the 220 does!

Ackman: Burris rings with the plastic inserts have not impressed me to the point of my trusting them on a Hunting Rifle as yet!

Larry Willis: And that was my point.
How surprising and pleasing it was to have this "task" accomplished so quickly and easily. In order for that to happen extreme care had to have been in play during the manufacturing process.
Three "Rifle cranks" and I shared the gas and one vehicle to visit a gunshow yesterday and during the 65 mile trip (each way) ONE of the many stories shared was mine.
The other three "Riflemen" WERE rather impressed that a lapping job could be so quickly and completely accomplished.
One of the gents is a 70 year old gunsmith and another owned a gunshop for many years!
AS an aside the gunshow was extremely well attended and munitions and loading components were very HOT items!
The "scare" is in full swing.

Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

VarmintGuy:

You might want to take an hour or so and peruse the Burris website, especially that section devoted to the Burris Signature System. I am VERY impressed with the thought and engineering that went into this system, and after 44 years as an engineer, I am not easily impressed.

You will find that that there is nothing not to trust, they are all steel, made in the USA. The polymer inserts are precision made, half-spherical on the outside for full contact with the (again, half-spherical) inside of the ring and half-round on the inside for full contact with the scope. They, when properly installed, will NOT mar the most expensive scope. They are self-aligning, and do not need ANY lapping. If you also invest in the offset insert kit, and use them properly, you can create a "poor man's" rail, to align your scope for long-distance shooting while remaining close to the middle of your scope's internal adjustments, which as I am sure you know is where the most precision is. The offset inserts also allow you to compnesate for off-center or misaligned drillings.

All in all, a great system, designed to preserve your scope, save you time and money, and do the job.

OS

PS: I own no Burris stock, nor am I compensated by them. It just sounds like it.

Old Swede,
It does sound like you own stock :D in Burris.
As an aside, I have a 25.06 Remington 700 BDL, Burris scope, and Burris signature rings with the inserts, taken this rifle Lope, and whitetail hunting for 3 years now, and have not found one reason not to trust the rings, the rifle has worked flawlessly on every hunt. Highly recommend them.

DR

VarmintGuy:

You will find that that there is nothing not to trust, they are all steel, made in the USA. The polymer inserts are precision made, half-spherical on the outside for full contact with the (again, half-spherical) inside of the ring and half-round on the inside for full contact with the scope. They, when properly installed, will NOT mar the most expensive scope. They are self-aligning, and do not need ANY lapping. If you also invest in the offset insert kit, and use them properly, you can create a "poor man's" rail, to align your scope for long-distance shooting while remaining close to the middle of your scope's internal adjustments, which as I am sure you know is where the most precision is. The offset inserts also allow you to compnesate for off-center or misaligned drillings.

All in all, a great system, designed to preserve your scope, save you time and money, and do the job.

OS

Yes. And Signature rings are well proven......(most) people know this. I use them on everything including 7mag.

To Varmint Guy

Have returned from that long awaited hunting trip. Didn't get a Chance to use the swift because I got rained out, but saw a lot of big game. Kangaroos, Emus, Pigs and wild goats. My trailer and camp gear are still stuck out there so I have a good excuse to return. All this in one of the driest places on the planet!:D

Back