ARA Nationals Relays

S

shootershack

There will be three(3) relays this year.

This has been the plan all along and changing this was never even considered.

John Parker
Vice president - Bench Rest Rifle Club of Saint Louis

Hey John Why?

If we have less than 100 shooters why in the world would we have Three Relays? If five people want to shoot the same gun then are you going to have 5 Relays? Why not let the shooters take part in this decison or maybe the match director? 60 benches, three relays,100
shooters....Priceless....No Crazy.

I want to be perfectly clear,the more the merrier, IF enough shooters show up for 5 Relays then have 5 relays. All shooters are welcome at the National Championship. Turn no one away!!!! Fred

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Fred. If you can accomodate all the shooters on two relays it doesn't make sense to stretch things out needlessly unless there is some other logistic problem we're not aware of.

I AM the match director and the number of relays(and everything else) is not open to debate. The ship has sailed on almost every "major" decision long ago due to the timing involved with this match.

We will have three(3) relays because I ran the match last year and understand the logistics and other factors involved. I believe three(3) relays is the BEST answer, so that's what we are doing.

Other information:
We will be shooting on benches 1 through 53.

We will be rotating 7 benches to the right.

The same scoring team from last year(with over 80 years of combined ARA scoring experience) will be used again this year.

We will be using the ARA scoring program and Polly(I assume based on last year) will assist in breaking any ties.

Sincerely,

John Parker
2008 & 2009 ARA Nationals Match Director
Vice President - Bench Rest Rifle Club of Saint Louis

Thanks John. I agree. It allows time to eat and move equipment around. It also allows time for competitors to intermingle and help those that need it.

Carp

John,

Thanks for the explanation and keep up the good work. We know you have a thankless job and I'm sure most of us are happy it's not us doing it.

It has allways been 3 relays ,because we allways needed it .. I guess cuz it is the way of the system...sounds like 2 relays would be more practically if only 75 shooters show up.....but hey whatdo i know .......if you all want to have 5 relatys lets do it.

Since it was set up for three relays and shooters planned for it that way, it is only prudent to keep it that way. If the planning was for equipment sharing, to do otherwise, would be a mess. It might be something to discuss this weekend for next year. Planning for two relays and needing to add a relay close to shoot time would not be as big a problem.

More relays also helps the scoring team. They do not have as many targets coming in every 30 minutes. This way they will not be rushed, and they can occassionally take a break.

Quiz - ARA Nationals

.......Planning for two relays and needing to add a relay close to shoot time would not be as big a problem........

You guys crack me up!

Here's a little quiz for you. The first person to get it right gets to label 800+ targets. :D

Your Target for match 5 this weekend reads:
Competitor =53
Bench = 51
Match = 5
Relay = 1

How does your target for match 6 read?
Now add a fourth relay at the last minute. How does it read?

I'm afraid to post it John. I'm a match director too. I know the answer no matter 53 benches or 60. It's simple math. But I DO NOT WANT TO LABEL THE TARGETS. Does that give me any brownie points? Do I get to have a caddy at the ARA National Tournament to carry my equipment and give me pointers? I agree with you and the point stands that the ARA does too. But where did that come from?

Carp

Looks like Madrox gets to label the targets.

SWEET!!!

Actually I won't be there, just couldn't resist the trivia. Neither could a bunch of other people if they had figured it out. But I'll pass that labeling torch to Carp. He did such a good job in Indiana.

Madrox,
You've definately labelled yourself as a well(and I mean WELL)-informed shooter that does not compete. But if you don't label the targets at my own matches, since I have the shooters do their own, how could you tell I did just a great job in IN? Otherwise, Shooters have a code of honor....honesty. WHO ARE YOU MADROX? Answer the question if you are a shooter...honestly. If you don't.....I've got a friend that can find out through avenues that you cannot imagine. He's an honest guy so he won't spill any beans about anyone else but you and not on this site. Only to me and I won't post your name. I'll only enjoy the roasting it at local matches (IN).:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

John M. Carper

AKA Carp

Have your friend find what he can. The only thing you can trace about me is an IP address that might or might not be real. That's it. I made sure of it.

What makes you think I don't compete? I've shot PSL, ARA, and IR 50/50 this year and a few centerfire matches. I probably compete as much or more than you do. I was at the Benchrest Rifle Club of St. Louis today, and I would shoot that match except I have to be somewhere else tomorrow. I don't know everybody, but I know most of the local shooters. I saw a few of the more well known people like Gaston, Barnhart, Barnes, Deneen and I swear I believe I saw Tony Boyer out there, but that may have been an illusion. If I'm correct in guessing who you are you were shooting somewhere around bench 50. Close?

By the way, I just meant you did a great job running the match. That was just what I was told. A compliment to you I guess.

Back