Anyone ever see these, or, similar?

R.G. Robinett

"That'll never work."
IMG_0786.jpg
Winchester 6mm jackets, sold by Hodgdon, Inc. - how OLD would they be - just curious.:confused: They were pretty poor jackets: wall-thickness variation well in excess of 0.001":eek: But, regrettably, I went ahead and turned them into bullets for a decent fellow.
IMG_0784.jpg He also had these, complete with a 1964 newspaper page stuffed inside. These had much more uniform wall-thickness (0.0005"), however, a contemporary 6mm/.243 core (Hood) would barley enter the mouth, then stop!:eek: Cores from my Rorschach .224 core-form die would barely fit into the bottom!:( I elected to pass on converting these, as they not only need and extra LONG .22 core, but also, were well tarnished (with a good boiling, and citric acid, correctable), & I don't need the extra work. Hell, I probably ruined the "collector" value of the Winchesters, which, by the way, were sparkling clean. :p RG

'Yo pard...no help on the vintage of those. I dusted off my Warren Page tomes hoping for a mention of them but didn't find a thing. Love the $10 price on the Winchesters! :cool:

No but

I will dig out some bullets one of these days and post pictures. They will have some of the big names like "Pindell". Probably would have shot them, but they rattle down the bore. About .065" too small.

Michael

Randy - I'm with you on the "collector" premise of the Winchester jackets but don't know of a single soul that collects bullet jackets.

Randy - I'm with you on the "collector" premise of the Winchester jackets but don't know of a single soul that collects bullet jackets.
I was thinking more the BOX! :eek: George Ulrich told me that he has never seen Winchester jackets - well, that Winchester made available to custom bullet makers. That they were sold by Hodgdon was also a surprise. :cool:
I was going to keep the box, but the gentleman wanted it back - glad I didn't throw it in the burn barrel.

George had seen some of the very ODD Sierra jackets - almost no wall taper, unusually thick, and, compared to contemporary, a small O.D. RG

Anyone ever see these or similar

I guess we have to look back in Benchrest history on those.
up until the late 60s there was little concern about wall thickness , THe somewhere back some people started

I remember a article in Precision shooting about wall thickness and variations. It was about the time that Accuracy Den electronic gauge cane out.

I know at one point Winchester was making Match bullets and they shot pretty well fo the times.

Many of used them with some success in the 70,s

Back