Anybody use ilmenite a a bag filler

J

Jason Shore

anybody using ilmenite as a bag filler ?
It is a abrasive sand blasting grit.
The front label reads ,contains ilmenite a sharp edged very fast cutting abrasive blast grit which has been refined to provide a near dustless material which enhances cutting and produces low profiles.
I have a bucket on hand but was concerned with the description " sharp edge" might damage the bags. the bags are Cordura
Any thoughts on this ?
Thanks Jason

Blasting Grit

Jason,
I'm blending heavy sand with blasting grit (50/50) with great results. Heavy media with no shifting. The sharp particles won't hurt the bags at all. Go for it! ...Dave

15. RESTS
(c) Sandbag
The Rear Sandbag shall be a bag or combination of bags, containing sand only...........

Looks like sand has many definitions & interpretations.....:eek:

The last entry specifically mentions ilmenite.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sand

Main Entry: 1 sand Pronunciation: \ˈsand\ Function: noun Etymology: Middle English, from Old English; akin to Old High German sant sand, Latin sabulum, Greek psammos Date: before 12th century 1 a: a loose granular material that results from the disintegration of rocks, consists of particles smaller than gravel but coarser than silt, and is used in mortar, glass, abrasives, and foundry molds b: soil containing 85 percent or more of sand and a maximum of 10 percent of clay ; broadly : sandy soil2 a: a tract of sand : beach b: a sandbank or sandbar3: the sand in an hourglass ; also : the moments of a lifetime —usually used in plural <the sands of this government run out very rapidly — H. J. Laski>4: an oil-producing formation of sandstone or unconsolidated sand5: firm resolution6: a yellowish-gray color

http://www.answers.com/topic/sand

Sand is a loose, fragmented, naturally-occurring material consisting of very small particles of decomposed rocks, corals, or shells. Sand is used to provide bulk, strength, and other properties to construction materials like asphalt and concrete. It is also used as a decorative material in landscaping. Specific types of sand are used in the manufacture of glass and as a molding material for metal casting. Other sand is used as an abrasive in sandblasting and to make sandpaper.

The most common sand is composed of particles of quartz and feldspar. Quartz sand particles are colorless or slightly pink, while feldspar sand has a pink or amber color. Black sands, such as those found in Hawaii, are composed of particles of obsidian formed by volcanic activity. Other black sands include materials such as magnetite and homblende. Coral sands are white or gray, and sands composed of broken shell fragments are usually light brown. The white sands on the Gulf of Mexico are made of smooth particles of limestone known as oolite, derived from the Greek word meaning egg stone. The white sands of White Sands, New Mexico, are made of gypsum crystals. Ordinarily, gypsum is dissolved by rain water, but the area around White Sands is so arid that the crystals survive to form undulating dunes.
Quartz sands, which are high in silica content, are used to make glass. When quartz sands are crushed they produce particles with sharp, angular edges that are sometimes used to make sandpaper for smoothing wood. Some quartz sand is found in the form of sandstone. Sandstone is a sedimentary, rock-like material formed under pressure and composed of sand particles held together by a cementing material such as calcium carbonate. A few sandstones are composed of almost pure quartz particles and are the source of the silicon used to make semiconductor silicon chips for microprocessors.
Molding sands, or foundry sands, are used for metal casting. They are composed of about 80%-92% silica, up to 15% alumina, and2% iron oxide. The alumina content gives the molding sand the proper binding properties required to hold the shape of the mold cavity.
Sand that is scooped up from the bank of a river and is not washed or sorted in any way is known as bank-run sand. It is used in general construction and landscaping.
The definition of the size of sand particles varies, but in general sand contains particles measuring about 0.0025-0.08 in (0.063-2.0 mm) in diameter. Particles smaller than this are classified as silt. Larger particles are either granules or gravel, depending on their size. In the construction business, all aggregate materials with particles smaller than 0.25 in (6.4 mm) are classified as fine aggregates. This includes sand. Materials with particles from 0.25 in (6.4 mm) up to about 6.0 in (15.2 cm) are classified as coarse aggregates.
Sand has a density of 2,600-3,100 lb per cubic yard (1,538-1,842 kg per cubic meter). The trapped water content between the sand particles can cause the density to vary substantially.

Sci-Tech Encyclopedia: Sand
Home > Library > Science > Sci-Tech Encyclopedia

Unconsolidated granular material consisting of mineral, rock, or biological fragments between 63 micrometers and 2 mm in diameter. Finer material is referred to as silt and clay; coarser material is known as gravel. Sand is usually produced primarily by the chemical or mechanical breakdown of older source rocks, but may also be formed by the direct chemical precipitation of mineral grains or by biological processes. Accumulations of sand result from hydrodynamic sorting of sediment during transport and deposition. See also Clay minerals; Depositional systems and environments; Gravel; Mineral; Rock; Sedimentary rocks.
Most sand originates from the chemical and mechanical breakdown, or weathering, of bedrock. Since chemical weathering is most efficient in soils, most sand grains originate within soils. Rocks may also be broken into sand-size fragments by mechanical processes, including diurnal temperature changes, freeze-thaw cycles, wedging by salt crystals or plant roots, and ice gouging beneath glaciers. See also Weathering processes.
Because sand is largely a residual product left behind by incomplete chemical and mechanical weathering, it is usually enriched in minerals that are resistant to these processes. Quartz not only is extremely resistant to chemical and mechanical weathering but is also one of the most abundant minerals in the Earth's crust. Many sands dominantly consist of quartz. Other common constituents include feldspar, and fragments of igneous or metamorphic rock. Direct chemical precipitation or hydrodynamic processes can result in sand that consists almost entirely of calcite, glauconite, or dense dark-colored minerals such as magnetite and ilmenite. See also Feldspar; Quartz.
Although sand and gravel has one of the lowest average per ton values of all mineral commodities, the vast demand makes it among the most economically important of all mineral resources. Sand and gravel is used primarily for construction purposes, mostly as concrete aggregate. Pure quartz sand is used in the production of glass, and some sand is enriched in rare commodities such as ilmenite (a source of titanium) and in gold. See also Concrete

Last edited:
more than we can comprehend

do you think the men who have been in the middle east over the last few years will now be able to figure out what kind of desert they were in. they are probably still shaking out samples ,out of their boots and utilities. leave it to bench rest shooters to become geologists too. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Sand is a particle size, not an identification of a specific material.

Quartz sand
Zircon sand (also called heavy sand)
Garnet sand
Iron sand
Hematite sand

Blasting Sand

I will rephrase the description of the bag filling media I called blasting grit.
(sand used for sand blasting)

It's sand ...man!

...Dave

Jason ...

anybody using ilmenite as a bag filler ?
It is a abrasive sand blasting grit.
The front label reads ,contains ilmenite a sharp edged very fast cutting abrasive blast grit which has been refined to provide a near dustless material which enhances cutting and produces low profiles.
I have a bucket on hand but was concerned with the description " sharp edge" might damage the bags. the bags are Cordura
Any thoughts on this ?
Thanks Jason

To be safe on all counts, chuck that stuff, and go get some "Extra Heavy Bag Sand" from Sinclair International and you'll never ever have to worry about "a rules infraction or sharp edges." ;)

I could be wrong

Sand is a particle size, not an identification of a specific material.

Quartz sand
Zircon sand (also called heavy sand)
Garnet sand
Iron sand
Hematite sand

I tend to think if you fill your bags with lead ground into sand sized particles most referee in both organizations will rule your sand illegal.

You can also use the residual material left over from prospecting for gold, it is called "Black Sand". It is some of the heaviest sand I have found. It is a combination of hematite, magnetite, fractionated iron ores, & other heavy minerals, which have a specific gravity of 10 or more.....

sand wars

Jackie, bless you and your usually astute postings. Here we are, shooters, facing the greatest test ever: certain bans, excessive ammo taxes, invasive registration(firearms), etc arguing over sand. Sand has never won a shooting match, never will. Now, having said that, I've used glass beads, play sand, lead shot, etc. However, a little elf whispered in my ear and suggested I try "hobby sand" as found at Michaels, Hobby Lobby et al. It's available, it pours/fills superbly. Oh, and it comes in colors. Well that's my input, come shoot with me, and if my sand beats your sand, take my bags!!!!! I do not intend to insult anyone, only to add sanity. Man, Congress gets hold of this, we'll have a 13 page bill on sand': proper use of, disposing properly, danger of, what to do if ingested,.....Shoot, shoot often. V/R Greg Fowl

Back