Any advice on shooting F Class Target Rifle in .223

Wm Cook

The rifle is a Remington VLS 700 BDL manufactured around 1998, Jewell trigger and glass bedded. Before I have a reamer cut I need to send JGS a dummy round. For that I need to choose:
- a starting bullet (Berger 80, 80.5, 82 or 90).
- neck diameter, what the brass neck should be turned (Lapua brass).

I'm assuming that the seating depth will start somewhere where the boat tail is protruding below the turned neck.

I realize that what bullet shoots best is dependent upon what works in the action/barrel and that's.

But there must be come give and take that would let me have the reamer cut for one bullet and be close enough that I could load another. Any advice on the bullet, reamer, free bore would be appreciated.

For some reason I thinks this might be the shortest thread on record.

I'm assuming that the seating depth will start somewhere where the boat tail is protruding below the turned neck.
Why?

The further out you can seat your chosen bullet, the more suitable powder you can stuff in & the higher the velocity you can achieve.

You'll be competing against people with .308s shooting bullets that sing in the 185-200 (maybe more) grain range, so you deserve to give yourself all the help you can get.

223 for fclass is a funny project. Here in my country, we have only 300 meters ranges(soon will have 600 yards too), so this small caliber is fine, unless too much wind.

I never got good groups with Berger 80,5 grains full bore bullets. But with 73 grains Berger, this rifle shines. Its a lot of fun

The rifle is a Remington VLS 700 BDL manufactured around 1998, Jewell trigger and glass bedded. Before I have a reamer cut I need to send JGS a dummy round. For that I need to choose:
- a starting bullet (Berger 80, 80.5, 82 or 90).
- neck diameter, what the brass neck should be turned (Lapua brass).

I realize that what bullet shoots best is dependent upon what works in the action/barrel and that's.

But there must be come give and take that would let me have the reamer cut for one bullet and be close enough that I could load another. Any advice on the bullet, reamer, free bore would be appreciated.

For some reason I thinks this might be the shortest thread on record.

I have friend who shoots some .223 in a bolt gun and found that a particular bullet didn't work it's best until he seated it 40 thou off the lands. So, be prepared to look way out of the box.

Back