Anschutz 1416HB vs CZ 452/3 Varmint

B

bushytail man

I would like to know your opinions concerning the accuracy, triggers, acttions and barrels of these two rifles. Considering both as a new squirrel "candidate".
Which is more accurate?

No doubt ther's some great CZ's out there but probably give the nod to the annie.

Never had Anschutz so take this for what it is worth.

I have a CZ 452 Varmint that is a keeper now that I have worked on the trigger. I use it now for silhouettes and I used it for 50 yard benchrest until I could get something better for the purpose. It is not for sale.

Concho Bill

I have

a CZ 452 and a 541 S remington. The 25 year old Rem. is a more accurate rifle. I use the 541 to shoot informal benchrest. The rifle only cost must be under $600 dollars. I bought the CZ 452 a Rem 504 and a Ruger 77-22 hoping to find someting as good or better. The triggers can be honed or massaged in these matches but no glass bedding. All of my rifles except the 541 have had the forend barrel pressure gradually lessened until the barrel was free floating, the action checked with inletting black and scraped to get maximum contact. None come up to the 541 level with factory stock with no tweeking. This weekend I am going to crank up the new Burris 6X24 scope on the 541 and enter the unlimited sporter class, Then set the scope to 7X and shoot in the factory sporter class. With Wolf M E ammo. The ammo cost at these matches is $6 per box of 50. I think that they will let you go over that a little this year, maybe 50 cents. If the Annie was under $600 I might check one out. Max

I, like Bill, have never owned a Anschutz but I do have a CZ 453 Varmint and love it.

The 453 has a completely different trigger group than the 452. The 453 has a single set trigger that is great for bench shooting AND the regular trigger has three adjustment, one for sear engagement, one for pull weight, and one for over travel. Well worth the extra $$ over the 452 model that is not adjustable.

I use my CZ for 50ft indoor offhand target shooting, 50yd, and 100yd bench shooting, and for the money, I am VERY happy with it.

Dick

I have a CZ 452 Varmint purchased in 2008. Out of the box, using many brands of cheaper ammo, it averaged 50 yd groups of 1/2 " ( Win Wildcats, CCI Minimag HP ) to about 1 1/2" ( bulkpack federals, ect) depending on brand of cheaper ammo.

I then put in a spring kit which greatly improved the trigger pull and also tried to glass bed the CZ 452 Varmint. Unfortunately, the design of the Varmint is not what I consider the best as far as mounting the gun to the stock, due to the way the second screw is part way down the barrel instead of on the receiver. After my first attempt of bedding, the accuracy drop, and I did some bedding near the barrel screw to try to see if I could bring its accuracy back to pre-bedding condition. ( note: I probably should use a torque wrench when setting the screws)

After playing with the bedding, the gun shot about similar, but not exactly the same as prior to doing any bedding, but some ammo's shot better, and some worse, but the CCI mini-mag HP continue shooting about 1/2" 50 yds groups.

Using CCI Velocitors, the gun shoots ~ 3/8" groups at 50 yds.
Maybe using various match ammo's it may, or may not shoot better, but currently I'm happy with what it is shooting with what I am shooting in it.

( all of my shooting with it has been in less then ideal wind conditions)

The stock on my CZ Varmint is above average ( probably would grade semi fancy or slightly better) with a little figure in the stock. and currently has a Weaver 3x9 AO scope on it.

Using the spring kit, ( which has several options, ((cant remember who sells it, but look on the internet and you will find it, it cost about 15 or 20 USD , I think)) you should be able to get a very light trigger, if need be, and its still cheaper then the 453, if you do not need to mess with trigger pull in the feild, then the 452 with trigger kit, is fine, but if your hunting with it one day, and shooting the bench the next, you may appreciate the ease of the 453's trigger adjustments.

Sorry, I have no Annie to compare it to. But if all CZ's are similar to mine, it should be very good for squirrels.

I have both an Anschutz 1416 D HB and a CZ 452 Varmint. While both are great rimfires, there are a few differences: The Anschutz has the beavertail stock a better trigger and is a bit more accurate from the bench right out of the box. The CZ, once an Eric Brooks trigger kit was installed, can keep up with the 1416 most of the time, and with less expensive ammunition, but in the long run is just slightly less accurate.

I'm sure you're well aware of the price difference, with the 1416 currently more than twice the cost of the 452. What I've found myself doing is using the Anschutz more for targets at the range and the CZ more for squirrels in the woods.

Both are fine rifles and great fun to shoot. Although every rifle is different, both of mine do well with SK Standard Plus. The CZ seems to be particularly fond of Winchester Super X subsonic (made in Australia). I've yet to try anything really expensive in either.

I have a Weaver 6-24 that I swap back and forth and, with a little luck, can do .4 groups with either.

I have 3 Anschutz firearms and 7 CZ's (I think).
To me it's like comparing Toyota and Lexus automobiles, both are great but the more expensive one should be and is somewhat better. Enough better to justify the price difference :confused:, up to the individual.
I like both of them a great deal and don't believe that squirrels head is any more safe from one than the other. All of mine have one purpose, turning live ground squirrels that we call gophers (curse em :mad:) into hawk, crow and magpie food. All of em excel for that purpose.

Since they're both capable of great accuracy I would choose the lighter of the two rifles if I had to drag it around in the woods all day.

Back