Anchor Lube:

Yes, I buy it by the gallon with several squeeze bottles around. I use it mostly for drilling, tapping, punching and an engraving lube. Other stuff here and there. Just another tool on the shelf. Cleans up well. Drilled lots of structural steel with it and unibits. Tool life seems good with it. Gets a little thick in winter if left out in the cold.

I have found it to be effective when tapping tough materials such as heat treated 4340 (RC 50) and precipitation hardening stainless.

We had a salesman leave us couple of bottles a while back.

I had to make ten 2 1/2 inch diameter 8 TPI bolts for a large Rudder Palm from 17-4 PH at H1150, so I tried it. Threading with a insert tool at around 200 rpm, it worked fine.

But no better than the Sultex D that we buy by the drum, which works much better on mild steel. While it does clean up better than conventional oils, that is not a big consideration in our shop.

I am not sure how it will work on a reamer. I use the Dark Rigid for reaming chambers, but keep in mind, I do not ream chambers in the conventional manner.

We get samples of just about every consievable cutting oil and cutting fluid made. Most are geared toward the CNC world, because that is how the major machining industry has evolved. In a "niche" industry such as ours, we tend to stick with more conventional products that have worked well with our machining challenges.

Last edited:
I saw a test

We had a salesman leave us couple of bottles a while back.

I had to make ten 2 1/2 inch diameter 8 TPI bolts for a large Rudder Palm from 17-4 PH at H1150, so I tried it. Threading with a insert tool at around 200 rpm, it worked fine.

But no better than the Sultex D that we buy by the drum, which works much better on mild steel. While it does clean up better than conventional oils, that is not a big consideration in our shop.

I am not sure how it will work on a reamer. I use the Dark Rigid for reaming chambers, but keep in mind, I do not ream chambers in the conventional manner.

We get samples of just about every consievable cutting oil and cutting fluid made. Most are geared toward the CNC world, because that is how the major machining industry has evolved. In a "niche" industry such as ours, we tend to stick with more conventional products that have worked well with our machining challenges.

Done by Randy Richard where he measured the current draw on a machine cutting metal. As I recall, they found very little difference. I think the appeal is it tends to stay put and easier to clean up. The few chambers I have cut I have used the black Rigid.

Thanks for sharing.

Pete

Last edited:
Back