An interesting piece of WW2 history

Al Nyhus

"It'll never work!"
This is a Walther P38, 1945 production date, matching slide and frame numbers. It appears to have been shot very, very little. Also has the correct 1944 dated Eagle Crest holster. In 1945, Walther produced around 31,000 of these before their factory was captured by the Allies. The serial number on this one puts it in the first 12 percent of production so it's likely it did go into service as an officers sidearm. The hoster has an extra magazine in the pouch.

A friend of mine's father brought this back from WW2 and she remembers it being in his dresser drawer all during her youth. The story on how he came by it is a bit murky, as he suffered from serious dementia in his later decades and the stories would change a bit when she asked him.

Regardless, I'll get this in shooting form....great piece of history.

Hope you enjoy this. :) -Al

Wonderful piece of history indeed Al. Years ago, a doctor friend of my dad's sold him a nickel plated P-38 from WWII. Apparently he took it off a dead German soldier and somehow got it back to the States. I've heard it was common for officers to have their sidearm nickel plated. Can't confirm that, but it makes for interesting conversation.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

My wife's Uncle had one, as well. He's deceased but, best I remember he said he took it from a captured German Officer. the condition was OK but had the new owner wiped it down from time to time, with an oily rag, the condition would be much better.

My Father-In-Law (ex, who is not also deceased) was in the Baatan Death March. When he was liberated in Mainland Japan, he and a fellow prisoner beat up the Camp Commander and the one guy got his sword and my father in law got his Officers Model Baby Nambu, which I still have.

Nice looking P-38. I used to have one, but was stupid and sold it years ago.

Bob

Very good example Al, I had a very well preserved P-38 back in the early 70’s. bought it from a Co-worker. I had an accidental discharge when I tried to decock it ,at an indoor range, When the cease fire command was given.:( ,Very embarrassing. There was something wrong with the decocker. I Never shot it again. I ended up selling it to a Guy who knew a lot about P-38’s. Wish I had kept it now.

Wish I had kept most of the Guns I've sold through the years.

Glenn

According to something in one of the early gun mags the P38 with 9mm Para loads was the only pistol that could penetrate a GI steel pot of that vintage.

If you want something WW II interesting go to YouTube and search for "David Irving jailed and beaten for telling WW II truth.."

According to something in one of the early gun mags the P38 with 9mm Para loads was the only pistol that could penetrate a GI steel pot of that vintage.

If you want something WW II interesting go to YouTube and search for "David Irving jailed and beaten for telling WW II truth.."

Really??? A halocaust denial historian???? WTF ?

Sold a Mauser HSC last year with holster and an extra mag. I believe it was a 7.65. My best bud got it from his Uncle that brought it back from WW2.
Kinda wish that I had it back.

This is a Walther P38, 1945 production date, matching slide and frame numbers. It appears to have been shot very, very little. Also has the correct 1944 dated Eagle Crest holster. In 1945, Walther produced around 31,000 of these before their factory was captured by the Allies. The serial number on this one puts it in the first 12 percent of production so it's likely it did go into service as an officers sidearm. The hoster has an extra magazine in the pouch.

A friend of mine's father brought this back from WW2 and she remembers it being in his dresser drawer all during her youth. The story on how he came by it is a bit murky, as he suffered from serious dementia in his later decades and the stories would change a bit when she asked him.

Regardless, I'll get this in shooting form....great piece of history.

Hope you enjoy this. :) -Al

That's a very nice find.

Really??? A halocaust denial historian???? WTF ?

.?? He is a historian who was imprisioned and beaten for writing about WW II the video said.

There was an old gun mag had something about a David Irving gun collection DWM, Mauserwerk, etc.

I have always admired the P38. I was born in 1938 so I remember well when 2 of our neighbors, Ike and Leon, came back from Germany after WW II with duffel bags full of German guns taken from German houses after the occupation. There were Lugers, Broonhandle Mausers and one had a P38 just like this one. What got my youthful attention was that Ike told me that the P38 with 9mmParabellum ammo was the only pistol that would shoot through a GI WW II steel pot.

In times past I have owned a "parts" P38 and 2 Lugers. I loved the broomhandle Mausers, Leon had 3, all had the wooden holsters that made shoulder stocks.

All this early memories is what got me interested in a David Irving collection article in a magazine that was, IIRC, printed by Shotgun News/Trade a Plane company.

years ago, a near mint 4", for $285. I haven't sold a gun since! :D

Gee Greg. I sold a tricked out 4" Python that use to be my duty weapon back in the mid 80's about 4 years ago. Sold it to a guy in my home state of Mass where it was grandfathered for $1800.00. I bought it at the Gun Room in Shrewsbury, MA in November of 79. Paid $399.99 with the tax. It was a 6" originally but I really couldn't carry a 6" barreled revolver in the cruiser, so I had this guy in Arlington, MA change the barrel & sights and do a trigger job on it. He use to do some of Colt's custom shop work when they where over booked.

Jim

Mine cost me $150! Was a decent pistol but I liked my model 19 better at the time. I used that as a reserve deputy here in Hancock cty for over 20 years. IMO older pinned barrel and recessed cylinder S&W revolvers were better than the colts of the same time. But the python was so well finished and the royal blue and polish was eye popping. Sorry I sold it. It went down the road 30 years ago and that was about the going price then.

Last edited:
Mine cost me $150! Was a decent pistol but I liked my model 19 better at the time. I used that as a reserve deputy here in Hancock cty for over 20 years. IMO older pinned barrel and recessed cylinder S&W revolvers were better than the colts of the same time. But the python was so well finished and the royal blue and polish was eye popping. Sorry I sold it. It went down the road 30 years ago and that was about the going price then.

I understand. The prices of Pythons now a day are ridiculous. I use to collect combat handguns. I had 4 H&K P7M10's, 2 black, 2 stainless. Had 4 P7M13's same thing 2 black 2 stainless. most were new and unfired in the box. I paid about a grand for each. Now those things are selling for 3 to 3&1/2 times the price I paid for them.

Last edited:
Best handgun I've ever had......S&W Model 28 Highway Patrol Special in 357 with a 4" barrel. Smooth, accurate and well balanced. Pull the trigger till it goes 'click', toss in a half dozen more and repeat.

A good wheel gun is one of life's simple pleasures. :cool:

I wish I had the time to listen to the videos or read his books. A different perspective on the war in Europe which seems to be frowned upon there as much as racial opinion is here.

Only two wheelguns I've kept since the '70's have been the 6" Python and the 6 1/2" S&W model 29. Still keep my eye out for a nice low milage S&W model 25 in 45ACP.

Keep an eye on

Only two wheelguns I've kept since the '70's have been the 6" Python and the 6 1/2" S&W model 29. Still keep my eye out for a nice low milage S&W model 25 in 45ACP.

Woodlawn boys on gunbroker. He has some really nice collector grade smiths and from time to time Colts.

Back