After Chambering

Louis, if its late in the evening I stop work and have a cold beer. Seriously though I'm not sure what exactly you're looking for.

I always clean them up with a cross hatch finish using a revolver chamber polishing tool available from Brownells, I believe it is for a .45 , it looks like a tiny brake cylinder hone, imagine a bore brush with tiny abrasive balls on the ends . I turn the lathe RPM up to 2,000 using plenty of cutting oil run the hone in and out lightly bumping the shoulder of the chamber using that for a stop, if you bump the shoulder to hard with the tool it will start to remove metal ( bad thing ) I practiced by bore scoping some old chambers until I got the procedure down. Oh yeah this only for cross hatching the chamber it will not remove grooves or other defects as it follows the existing chamber surface.
I use this procedure on my Long Range Bench Rest rifles that shoot pretty well, some F- Class rifles that set some records a few years ago and all other rifles build.

I use a small piece of maroon scotch brite to clean the chamber, shoulder and throat area up a bit. leaves a nice finsh n the chamber. Oil on the scotch brite is a must. I then check my chamber out with a .0001 indicator to see how well did. im usually pleased. Lee

I jam some oily scotch brite into the chamber. recheck TIR with dial test indicator and use a telescoping guage to insure chamber meets spec.

Semper Fi,

WallyW

I use a split brass dowel and 400gr and Kroil. 1000 RPM and one or two in and outs and then a shake it all about and it's done.

I just roll a small piece up and hold it with my fingers that way I can feel whats going on. Simple. Lee

Back