Action Wrenches

J

JEC

Want to do "switch barrel" changes on Rem 700 actions myself so looking to purchase the proper equipment. Am thinking of two options:
A Brownell action wrench that indexes on the front guard screw and positions the recoil lug for the re-install.
A rear port action wrench sold by Sinclair (can't recall man. name) with a separate tool to hold the lug in postion for the re-install.
I will only be using the tools to switch barrels I have, not to break free factory barrels.
I like the idea of the rear port wrench as I gould then use a torque wrench to make sure I get the re-install correct, but wonder if there are any potential problems with this type of wrench? Or, would it be better just to go with the stong wrench that is fitted to the outside of the action? Your ideas.

An internal 'spade' type wrench that contacts inside at the receiver ring works well... so does an external wrench. With either you are going to need a good barrel vise. I prefer the internal wrench.

Barrel tools

JEC: On the advice of my 'smith tried to buy the Holland rear entry wrench for my first switch-barrel, a Rem 700 6BR to 308. Due to production problems the Holland was not available, and after a 2 month wait, bought the Davidson barrel vice and rear action wrench from Sinclair. Then bought a used Snap-on 200 Ft. Lb. capacity torque wrench from a retired auto mechanic. Also bought the recommended Kleindorst recoil lug tool, from Brownell's. Everything is working trouble-free and barrel changes take approx. 30 minutes.

I see Brownells has a spade type action wrench that fits in the side port and grips in the bolt lug raceways close to the receiver ring...it has a short handle with a 1/2 square opening so it can be torqued with a ratchet. What do you think?
Also, would torquing from an offset position be accurate?

I believe long rear-entry action wrenches spread the load out over more area, and should decrease the chance of distorting the action if the shooter gets a little heavy-handed on a switch-barrel rig. I use the heavy-duty Brownells wrench for breaking OEM factory bbls. loose, and rear-entry wrenches for everything else.

The lug cut-out on the Brownells action wrench only works with factory lugs, so I have milled out lug 'saddles' (for lack of a better term) to work with Holland & Badger Ordnance lugs. When a customer comes along with a Tubb lug or specifies same, I'll make a saddle to fit them.

The Davidson aluminum barrel vise Sinclair sells is the only one I own. It won't hold OEM Howa barrels without turning, even with bushings made for sporter-weight barrels, but it's worked for everything else I've used it on. I've got it bolted to a piece of heavy angle iron that gets clamped in our heavy shop vise.

Back