Action set up for belly shooting f-class style??

skeetlee

Just curious as to if there is a preferred action set up for f-class shooting for a right handed shooter? right bolt left port, right bolt right port??? Does any one set up offer any advantage or is it still nothing more than what a shooter wants, or what he is used to? I have always wondered this. A dear friend of mine seems to think a left bolt left port " i think left port" may offer a benefit that most are over looking. Maybe he will chime in if he reads this. Lee

I shoot F-Class a lot. I have both RB/RP and RB/LP actions. The left port actions require me to break position each time i load - this is not good for a consistent body and shoulder position. The RB/LP works very well for shooting from seated at the bench, but for me does not work well in belly bench rest (F-Class).

I recommend a right bolt/right port action for a right handed shooter.

George
F-Class High Master

Further to George's post, there is speed benefit to a rblp action in a benchrest environment and you can get your five or ten shots off quicker and group size may be affected (increased) less by a changing condition if you machine gun your shots downrange by running the gun with both hands. In F-Class you have to wait for the target to be pulled and scored between shots anyway so speed buys you exactly nothing.

Greg

Greg
you are correct and that is really why i wondered about all this. Speed isnt an issue but i didnt know how much of an issue it was to brake and re-gain form behind the rifle and what works best accordingly. thanks Lee

The left port actions require me to break position each time i load - this is not good for a consistent body and shoulder position.

Great point and it gave me a lot to think about today as I have a RBLP and going to focus on belly shooting this yr.. Thaks for pointing that out Geo!!

Do you use electronic targets in USA for F Class? In Australia since electronic targets are taking over, people are setting up for speed shooting. I prefer my RBLP rifle than my RBRP. I have also just brought a LBLP action to shoot right handed. My right hand will hold the pistol grip down while I cycle the bolt, feed ammo with my left hand, then return the rifle to battery with my right hand and my left hand will drop back onto my joystick. I set my ammo box up so that I never move my elbows during a course of fire.

rooshooter, no such luck where I have shot - we have to take our turns in the pit area (butts) and manually pull and mark the targets.

So there is a delay between shots (in some cases with new shooters - quite a long delay).

George

G'Day all,
I think for a Right Handed shooter a all LBLP set up makes a lot of sense when shooting prone or off a bench. I'm a Left Handed shooter and have used predominately a RBRP Rem700 and RBRP Hall S in BR and F class and now am using a LBRP Stolle.

I personally think the RBRP is easier mainly because the port is on the proper side. My left hand (Right Handed shooters please do the opposite) never leaves the pistol grip and my right hand opens the bolt, unloads/loads and my left thumb quickly pushes the bolt forward to be locked down by my right hand as the target comes up. I can see the ammo box/tray, the loading port and this aids smooth loading; any feed issues that may arise are also quickly dealt with because you can SEE what they are; you can' t do that with a LBLP action. I use this technique on the ground and off the bench.

Fo a Left Handed shooter, a RBRP it's nearly as quick as a LBRP but I think with more control over the rifle since my left hand is still holding the rifle pistol grip, and this technique seems to give me much more time to watch the mirage and flags, I dont plot or adjust turrets except for come ups, I just hold off for windage. I do not think I would like to use a LBLP to shoot F class or BR. I also prefer a load port long enough to load a new round past the empty case and also to get my finger in to get a case out easily if needed.

However, using a LBRP rifle shot off a rest and rear bags you can "afford" to use both hands to cycle the bolt and load and not loose control of the rifle and the time it takes to mark a target in F class does mean speed is not really required, but I do like reload quickly, then watch the conditions very carefully, while I wait for the target to be marked. I feel it pays dividends. either way I'm happy using a LBRP in BR and F class and I wont be changing back any time soon.

If you can get access to a LBLP to shoot, I recommend it and then try a RBLP, seeing the load port is great and there are many Left Handed shooters who do NOT feel disadvantaged by shooting a RBRP rifle, in fact we prefer that all Right Handed shooters think we ARE disadvantaged! LOL!

Anyway, food for thought...........

Cheerio Ned

Last edited:
Do you guys think a Remington 700 Long action is stiff enough of an action for a 6.5x 284 for an f-class rifle? I know were i might be able to pick up a like new long action rem 700 left bolt for fairly cheep. I would probably use a MBR stock. Is that action stiff enough for top accuracy? Lee

I shoot a RBLP in F-Class off a pedestal rest and prefer it to a RBRP.

I spend less time fumbling with ammunition than I otherwise would and like Ned and rooshooter have a technique down that doesn't require me to move my elbows.

It's a lot easier to feed ammunition into it when you can see the port.

In the end though, I believe that it all comes down to personal preference.

I shot my first F-Class the other day with a RBLPRE dual port and after all my reading never even tried feeding through the left port. Next time around I'll try it the other way and see what I think.
Larry

I've got a RBLP Stiller action that I really like. I wish all my guns were RBLP - even my hunting sticks. When I open both my eye all I have to do is gently look down and left and I can inspect the case or load the action or whatever. I'm not that great at keeping the same position AND I often keep my own score in my log so my technique isn't the greatest probably. The biggest problems is that the other day I had a very severe case head separation and the hot gas and powder went along the firing pin and exited through three vent ports on the bolt. Good because the gun didn't explode but bad because it vented all over the left side of my face. Coulda been real bad deal and I don't think it would have been so bad if it had exited to the right.

I've got a RBLP Stiller action that I really like. I wish all my guns were RBLP - even my hunting sticks. When I open both my eye all I have to do is gently look down and left and I can inspect the case or load the action or whatever. I'm not that great at keeping the same position AND I often keep my own score in my log so my technique isn't the greatest probably. The biggest problems is that the other day I had a very severe case head separation and the hot gas and powder went along the firing pin and exited through three vent ports on the bolt. Good because the gun didn't explode but bad because it vented all over the left side of my face. Coulda been real bad deal and I don't think it would have been so bad if it had exited to the right.

Let's explore that head separation shall we??? Do you know yet WHY it happened?

al

Back