Accidently mixed powders

I accidentally put about 6 oz of Vv130 into around 6 lbs of Vv133 but think I'll not dump it. The powders are very close in burn rate and essentially identical in other physical characteristics. I'll just treat it, if I ever shoot PPC again, as working up a load with Vv 132.5. Though your mix is of very similar burn rate, BL-C is a ball powder and 322 stick and the densities are different. The powders will segregate making the charges totally unpredictable. Not worth it for around 1/2 pound.

Ditch it.

Last edited:
It's got enough nitrogen in it that you can fertilize your grass with it. When I have accidentally mixed powders that is what I do with it.
If you were talking five or more pounds I would try to use it.

I did that with Re-7 and SMP 735. I shot some rounds I had loaded with it the other day at the range. The bullets went into the same hole. Guess I'll continur to use it ): .

I dumped 78gr of BL-C(2) into 4,000gr of H322. Should I chuck the mix?

Was shooting with a gentleman today (he will remain nameless) that prefers this sort of thing. He would be insulted by you calling it a "mix", he call's this a "BLENDED" powder that is highly sought after and might shoot his next teen agg. with it.

btw, he has read this thread

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. It was a cheap lesson.

DO what you feel IS safe.... Fertilizer....
Or
Shoot it and work the load up using 322 and the primary load info...

Blending is acceptable when its single base to single base OR Double base to double base (typically ball)....
Again, blending is acceptable AS LONG AS one does NOT use a burn rate that is too FAST for the cartridge. PERIOD.!

Keep ACCURATE notes and bottles marked.. Safety FIRST.!

cale

if the granule size is significantly different, you could try sifting the powder. Just a thought

Prevention

This happened to me once. I tossed it because the powders were quite different in burning rates and densities. The results would have been unpredictable because the powders would have separated.

It never happened again because I took some preventative measures. I take a snapshot of the powder canister label. Print it out at a size that fits the powder measure bottles and attach it to it. Each powder has its own powder measure bottle. Which matachs the canister it came from.
Andy.

I (legally) keep around 15 five to eight-pounders of different powders and maybe 15 one-pounders..... I'm slowly cutting down but haven't managed to simplify yet. ANYways.... it's hard to be careful enough. My absolute rule now is to only allow ONE CONTAINER on my reloading bench at a time. And if ever I find more than one I slap myself on the hand, scold myself roundly and set myself in the corner for a timeout.

I do try to take this rule seriously.

I let no-one but me use my reloading area. I do allow (encourage) others to load at my range, my kids, my friends, total strangers... but for them I provide a separate setup in another room, or they bring their own.

ONE CONTAINER and clean up completely between changes.... (I wrote that for myself as a reminder LOL :) )

al

Prolly wouldn't matter - but scatter it out somewhere safe. I once set an 8lb jug of GI-322 on the roadside (something gone real bad in there) and had to go back 50 miles when I realized what I had done. Thankfully it was still there...waiting.....

once did this loading a 25-06 with 100 gr smks. h4831 was what i was using but i had dumped a LOT of something with a faster burn rate. the first 4 firings were VERY loud and VERY difficult to extract. the primers were gone and i suspected something was amiss. pulled bullets and found ball? and stick powder! still don't know what i added but it was so hot that the BOSS muzzel brake is belled in it's center! that winchester rifle stayed in one piece and i still shudder every time i hold the gun. this was many years ago and i still only allow one powder container on my reloading bench at the time and i recall these events ever time i pour powder back into it's container. i am very fortunate.

pngjasper
As I remember blc2 is a ball powder and 322 is a stick powder.
You could probably vibrate it down to the bottom and sift it out since the balls are much smaller than the 322. I doubt they are going to stay mixed.

Two weeks ago, I forget to remove H4198 from my Harrel measure. Switched calibers and dumped about 3 ounces of H4895 on top of it. Thought about mixing it in with the almost full lb. of 4198, then figgered it wasn't worth it. Dumped out about $6 worth of powder, but then it did not bother me thinking about it for a while.

BTW; for those who blend powders: What do you do when you run out of the blend? How do you duplicate it?

Back