7mm br seater for seating 30br

W

Wjesswheel

Awhile back I thought I read an older post by a renown 30br shooter. In the post I thought he said he was using a 7mm br seater for seating his 30br. I did a search on it and can't seem to find the post.Does anyone know if this is possible and what modifications to the 7mm br die is needed for a .330 neck 30 br,

I own nearly every brand of sizer and seater as well as making them from scratch. IME, while you can easily seat 7mm's in a 30 die, I can't imagine a 7mm die having the capacity to let a 30 cal bullet thru to access the seater cup.

I guess you _could_ probably run the stem down and seat below the neck??? On the unsupported case??

If you open the seater die neck area a few tho' over the .330" case, the stem will seat the bullet. If it's a production threaded die, it'll take a carbide drill to do it.

I have converted

a Forster comp seater from 7 BR to 30 BR with parts changes from them. Of course, its a press die.

Back when the 30BR was becoming popular, 30BR dies were "specials", and cost over twice as much as a 7BR set.

When we first began shooting the 30BR, dies , even from Redding, etc., were a custom order deal. My initial FL/NK bushing die was/is a Redding Type "S", 7MM BR, which was a stock item. Using a mini carbide boring-bar, I opened the neck port from about .327", to .340".
To this day, that die works perfectly.

Since this is about seating, it's tough to beat a L.E. Wilson seating die-blank, reamed using the chamber reamer. Or, as Greg stated,
doing the same thing, using either a Forster, or, Redding BR seating die, and reaming a new insert. I can't imagine a 7mm seating die working as well as we expect for precision shooting. RG

Greg, I opened a 7BR bushing sizing die to use for my first die, but I reamed my own seater from a barrel drop and used a Wilson cap and stem. I have opened 7BR dies for others, they all worked fine. Then Harrell's and others caught on as the 30 took over!

Wayne

Greg, I opened a 7BR bushing sizing die to use for my first die, but I reamed my own seater from a barrel drop and used a Wilson cap and stem. I have opened 7BR dies for others, they all worked fine. Then Harrell's and others caught on as the 30 took over!

That was my problem 20+ years ago with the 30BR...finding specific dies. The Forster folks worked with me and I converted a 7 BR die to 30BR, a seater, and it still produces ammo with little runout. --Greg

Back