6x45

Joe S

I happened on a deal on a Cooper M21 in 6x45 and need some advice on where to start in a search for a load for it.

The twist is 1/10", the rifle is planned for nothing but putting little holes in paper (hopefullly) and club shoots at this time. Has anyone got an idea of a good bullet wt and powder type to start with? At the moment I`m thinking of something like the 70gr MatchKing but I`m open to suggestions. I`ve H4895, BenchMark, Varget, CFE223, on the shelf. Will one of them do well with bullets in this range or are there bettter choices?

The 6x45 (AKA 6/.223) has a case capacity of about 27 grains water A 6PPC has abut 33 grains water, so you're significantly smaller than a PPC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6×45mm

The powders you mention are all a bit slow. Maybe 4198 would work better, or maybe AA 1680.

As for bullets, somebody reported on a lighter, very accurate (Hornady) 6mm recently...too lazy to find it, but it would be either in General or Centerfire forums...

Edit:

Ah, I found it. 58-grain bullet.

http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?84582-Hornady-Zombie-Bullets

Ignore the usual diatribes...

Last edited:
Wow. Wikipedia must be wrong about the case capacity! Water's heavier than powder.

Edit:

Except Ken Howell's book also shows the 6x45 as smaller than the PPC... Can someone measure the case capacity? Water full to overflow.

I do see the charges listed in the link Reed gave are all what we would consider pretty low pressure, as you'd expect with powders typically considered too slow...

What were the accuracy loads used for the old 6x47? Those powders should be about right.

Last edited:
Joe,

Hodgdon's website (and magazine/manual) has a lot of info; also HANDLOADER #255 and 131. The new Berger Manual also has some data for their bullets,

Good shooting!

Thanks to everyone.

I think I`ve enought to start with now but, it looks like everything I already have on the shelf isn`t what I`ve got data for.

Hope the wife isnt watching the credit card too close next month when the statement comes. ;)

Sierra lists accuracy loads for 6x45..........

55gr & 60gr bullet..........748 powder
70gr & 75gr bullet..........AA-2015BR powder
80gr bullet....................748 powder
85gr & 90gr bullet..........H335 power

I have a 6X45 and it is a Hoot. I pretty much stuck with H322 and left over bullets 60 to 70 gr (odd lots of left over BR bullets) But I found that Speer makes/made a 70gr HP bulk bullet (TNT) I think. Top load in the Hodgon book about 24-25 gr of powder, cheap to feed (Have a teenager that loves to shoot) and low recoil.

Back