6ppc stuck case

P

PSG1

Hello

I had a 6ppc case stucked in the chamber of my rifle. The base of case separated and the front half is in the rifle. I tried to extract it with a .45 caliber brush but it was not possible. Do you know someone who sell 6ppc chamber stuck case remover? Any helps is welcome.

Sorry for my poor language.

Best regards Giovanni

Hello

I had a 6ppc case stucked in the chamber of my rifle. The base of case separated and the front half is in the rifle. I tried to extract it with a .45 caliber brush but it was not possible. Do you know someone who sell 6ppc chamber stuck case remover? Any helps is welcome.

Best regards Giovanni
Giovanni, if you have the means to remove the barrel and access to a 6PPC reamer you can remove the stuck case with that. Remove the barrel and leave it in the barrel vise. Then take the 6PPC reamer, and carefully, by hand, use the reamer to either break the case free or cut it out. Do this with the reamer pilot in place since the reamer should start cutting at the case neck/shoulder intersection first.

If the reamer cuts the case in two at the neck/shoulder before the reamer spins the case out, run the reamer all the way in to make sure you got all the case body out.

I've done this with a 308 Win but not with a 6PPC but the process should work.

Do not attempt this with the barrel in a lathe and the lathe under power.

Hello

Best regards Giovanni

Try using a smaller brush. Push a 6 or 7 mm brush into the neck area......the bristles won't lay down as much as the big 45 brush did, and should grab the case pretty well. If that doesn't do it, take the barrel off and find a tap size that will allow a small cut and run it in a few turns. Obviously, you have to be careful not to cut through the case into the chamber..............the case should spin long before the tap cuts through, so it isn't likely you'll have to worry about it.

-Dave-:)

Then take the 6PPC reamer, and carefully, by hand, use the reamer to either break the case free or cut it out. Do this with the reamer pilot in place since the reamer should start cutting at the case neck/shoulder intersection first.
QUOTE]

Jerry, the PPC body taper is so slight that the reamer isn't even going to start into the case before it is cutting.............the nose of the reamer isn't going to come close to the neck area..........FWIW

-Dave-:)

Try using a 1/2" wood rasp. you can tape up everything except the very front and carefully insert into the case and give it a twist. It will grab the side walls of the case. Then if you can't pull it out grab the file with a pair of pliers and gently tap the pliers with a hammer. should pop right out. We see this all the time at 1000 yd. matches.

If you can take the barrel off you can get a grip on the case using a drill bit. A slight twist and a tap of a hammer will get it out.

Dave

Try using a 1/2" wood rasp. you can tape up everything except the very front and carefully insert into the case and give it a twist. It will grab the side walls of the case. Then if you can't pull it out grab the file with a pair of pliers and gently tap the pliers with a hammer. should pop right out. We see this all the time at 1000 yd. matches.

If you can take the barrel off you can get a grip on the case using a drill bit. A slight twist and a tap of a hammer will get it out.

Dave

Tooley,

You talkin' about a round rasp?? A "rattail"?

al

I have used proper sized taps to remove seperated cases that were really stuborn. It needs to be sized to cut into the cartrige and not your chamber wall. Once it "bites" the case clamp a vise grip on the square and lightly tap the jaws to remove the case. I usually try the tap on a scrap piece of brass for fit before I screw it in the stuck case. If you have this happen more than once you can weld a shaft and t handle on the tap and have a dedicated case remover and insert it through the action.

Good luck,
Jim

al

yes

They are tapered on the end and give just enough bite to pull the case out.

Jim

I've used tap's also when a customer brings their rifle to the shop. A file is handy to have in your shooting box or even better is have your local club provide one and leave it at the range for anyone to use.

Dave

Stuck Case Remover

Several great suggestions here. Many years ago I managed to separate several cases in a custom .22/250. Having almost no cash and certainly nothing as sophisticated as a tap or even a rasp or file, I managed to turn a large wood screw into the case neck with a long screwdriver and tap the stuck case out with a brass cleaning rod from the muzzle. I doubt this method would remove a really stubborn case as well as a tap or rasp, but it might work if a better tool was not immediately available. Vic

Thanks everibody for infos.

At the end i removed the case, with help of a friend i used a "threading point" to remove it.

Thank you again.

If you have some time to remove the case first clean the inside of the case with mek . Then put a cotton patch in the neck and cast a plug in the case with some epoxy.
When this cures use a cleaning rod carefully to remove the brass.

Glenn:D

Back