6PPC resize reamer dimension?

P.Ericson

Just wanted to ask you guys how much smaller you have you resize reamers ground for a 6ppc? Read something about .003" smaller at the base, and .002" at the shoulder. What kind of squeze do you get then? I´m looking for a little less than a thousand at the base and a little less at the shoulder.

Regards,
Peter

What you read about .003 at the base and .002 at the shoulder is exactly what I shoot for, although I don't make size dies, I just get the die first and order the chamber reamer that amount larger. It will tend to size the base about .001 more or less, but closer to the shoulder seems to size a bit more (probably due to the hardness factor), and that works very well. It is important that the die sizes new cases at least .001 because as they work harden with subsequent sizings they will definitly spring back a bit more. With all the variables involved, it is still possible to not have a perfect match and sometimes either the chamber needs to be polished a little or the die may need to be honed to get it perfect. In the case of PPC or BR cases, I just order the size I need from Lynwood Harrel and keep doing it until I have either the perfect die or all of them. A perfect PPC die is a treasure and if you can make a good one for a customer's rifle it is a big plus.

Scott

Last edited:
I just order the size I need from Lynwood Harrel and keep doing it until I have either the perfect die or all of them. A perfect PPC die is a treasure and if you can make a good one for a customer's rifle it is a big plus.

Scott

Why not send Harrels 3-4 fired cases? They can make a custom fit.

Thanks guys. I guess I´ll order the reamer -.003 at the base and -.002 at the shoulder and then just polish the die to perfection before hardening. Should be pretty OK and for sure alot better than the dies I´m using now.

Why not send Harrels 3-4 fired cases? They can make a custom fit.

Hindsight. Since I have three 6PPCs and fit several new barrels each year and I have (so far) 4 different reamers, I don't mind having a set of Harrels dies. I can start with new cases, size with a #2.5 for 10 or 12 firings and when they start to give a little bolt click, just switch to a #3 and shoot them some more.

Scott

Back