6PPC LV weight tolerance.

Curious

Can anyone tell me how much over the 10.5lb weight limit is allowed for scale tolerance please?

Also does it differ from one organisation to another or is it standard?

i "believe" scale tolerance is one ounce....not rifle.
Can anyone tell me how much over the 10.5lb weight limit is allowed for scale tolerance please?

Also does it differ from one organisation to another or is it standard?

Ah, you must have been shooting at Holton. They had a notoriously erratic grocery store scale there. The butcher’s thumb was still attached.

I can remember the day at Holton when Scott Hobarth, father in law of Jeff Haney, was ruled over weight and was told he would be DQ’d if he used his rifle as it was. He knew it was not overweight, by the fact that it had been weighed before and had been legal with room to spare. He wanted to shoot though and so if took a saw and cut about an inch off the butt of the rifle. This was a rather new rifle. He and Jeff shot that day but never came back. They both got out of bench rest.
There were never check weights at Holton until years later when the NBRSA test weights were brought to Holton by Stan Buchtel and it was found the scales were indeed off.

Last edited:
I can remember the day at Holton when Scott Hobarth, father in law of Jeff Haney, was ruled over weight and was told he would be DQ’d if he used his rifle as it was. He knew it was not overweight, by the fact that it had been weighed before and had been legal with room to spare. He wanted to shoot though and so if took a saw and cut about an inch off the butt of the rifle. This was a rather new rifle. He and Jeff shot that day but never came back. They both got out of bench rest.
There were never check weights at Holton until years later when the NBRSA test weights were brought to Holton by Stan Buchtel and it was found the scales were indeed off.

Any club that had a scale should have a set of certified weights.

Without certified weights, weighing rifles becomes a moot point because without them, you are seeing on the scale is no better than someone’s opinion.

Take the circumstance where a shooter was fortunate enough to shoot a set of targets that qualified for record consideration. It would be a shame if he was cheated out of the accomplishment because a Club failed to be able to get a true weight of his Rifle.

Francis

stories like this are, for lack of other words, sad. Reading the post on this forum from the new president of NBRSA and his exchange with the outgoing President of IBS about what they can do to promote benchrest...well they can get rid of the scoundrels who do not follow the rules for a start.

Any club that had a scale should have a set of certified weights.

Without certified weights, weighing rifles becomes a moot point because without them, you are seeing on the scale is no better than someone’s opinion.

Take the circumstance where a shooter was fortunate enough to shoot a set of targets that qualified for record consideration. It would be a shame if he was cheated out of the accomplishment because a Club failed to be able to get a true weight of his Rifle.

At one point I started carrying my set of certified check weights with me. A Club wanted to dq. my rifle & I knew damm well I was legal.

Back