6MM Classic brass

Butch Lambert

Cleaning out some brass. I found about 40 rounds of primed unfired brass marked 6MM Classic. Was this an attempt of someone here trying to duplicate 6PPC brass?

Butch - does it look like a necked down .30 Herrett? If so, it's probably one of Todd Kindler's wildcats. He formed a bunch of cartridges off the Herrett by necking them down. There were also minor changes to the shoulder.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Cleaning out some brass. I found about 40 rounds of primed unfired brass marked 6MM Classic. Was this an attempt of someone here trying to duplicate 6PPC brass?

Short answer is yes. They called it Classic because PPC was copyrighted.
I believe it dates from that time when SAKO 220 brass got hard to find & before Lapua started making 220.
I think the 30 American (30-30 small primer) was made about that time too, but perhaps that was later than that.

Regards,
Ron

Butch - does it look like a necked down .30 Herrett? If so, it's probably one of Todd Kindler's wildcats. He formed a bunch of cartridges off the Herrett by necking them down. There were also minor changes to the shoulder.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Lee, it is 6ppc brass and not necked up or down. Ron is right, but who originated it. The headstamp is 6MM Classic

Last edited:
Lee,I'll take a photo and email it to you. I have some 223, 250 Savage, and 30-30 brass without headstamps.

Photos are on the way.

Last edited:
OK, sounds like a different 6mm Classic. Here's the one I was referring to:

Thanks for clarifying.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Lee,

With the popularity of the 6.8 SPC, it is now easy to make a 6PPC capacity cartridge by simply necking the 6.8 SPC down to 6mm and bumping the shoulder back just enough to slighly decrease capacity. This gives neck length between .300" and .340". As you know, the 6.8 SPC is a 30-30 based cartridge, because the 30 Remington is simply a rimless 30-30. By keeping the original 6.8 SPC length of 1.680" and shoulder angle of 23 degrees. This thing looks exactly like a fattened 222 Remington. It's kind of like making a 6mm case that is exacly what the 222 shooters were missing. Scaling the diameter of the bullet and case diameter in similar proportions. No fireforming, just bump shoulder, neck down, and neck turn. It has a small primer, but not the small flash hole.

Michael

Photos:
28s4zh2.jpg

2sb4g2a.jpg

Butch - thanks for the photos. I must admit, I'm stumped on that one. It probably does date to the late 80's and/or early 90's during the Sako shortage. But who punched them is beyond me.

Michael - interesting point about the 6.8 SPC. Lapua and Norma don't produce it, so we're left with Starline, Hornady, Federal, and a couple of others. Forming would be easy. I know the AR crowd has played with the 6mm-6.8. But I haven't seen anyone try it in short-range BR. Could make for a nice side project. If you start by assuming it can't touch the PPC, there'd be no letdown. Hell, it may surprise us.

BTW, I'll also write Lapua about 6 PPC. Doubt it'll go anywhere, but I just expanded and fire-formed another batch of 220 Russian. Be nice not to have to fire them 1 - 2 times to set the shoulder.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Last edited:
Butch - thanks for the photos. I must admit, I'm stumped on that one. It probably does date to the late 80's and/or early 90's during the Sako shortage. But who punched them is beyond me.

Michael - interesting point about the 6.8 SPC. Lapua and Norma don't produce it, so we're left with Starline, Hornady, Federal, and a couple of others. Forming would be easy. I know the AR crowd has played with the 6mm-6.8. But I haven't seen anyone try it in short-range BR. Could make for a nice side project. If you start by assuming it can't touch the PPC, there'd be no letdown. Hell, it may surprise us.

BTW, I'll also write Lapua about 6 PPC. Doubt it go anywhere, but I just expanded and fire-formed another batch of 220 Russian. It would be nice not to have to fire them 1 - 2 times to set the shoulder.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

If you are thinking of leaving it as a 6.8 who makes good 270 bullets?

I personally shot one that I had shortened to 1.5" in length, and necked to 22 caliber. The capacity was same as 22 Waldog. First match ever was a club match in Lubbock. Shot against some very good shooters like Larry Bagget, Durward Wofford, and Steve Murphy. I came in first place. Next match was the Buffalo in Midland years back. I came in 10th place in the LV. I have not shot the 6mm version that I mentioned above. Below is the shortened 22 version next to the parent case.

Michael

Attachments

• 22 BRT.jpg
    22 BRT.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:
Still regarding the 6MM Classic case

Gentelmen.
Regarding the 6mm Classic case.
For whatever reason it is stuck in my head that the 6mm Classic case (6PPC)
was the creation of one Mr. Jensen in an attempt to give short range BR shooters
brass to use during the infamous PPC brass shortage years ago.
The brass was made by Brass Ex….??? something …can’t remember.
The late Mr. Geza Nagy did test the cases and reported in PS.
Since all my PS Mags. are gone I can’t look it up.
If I am wrong (happened before!) please correct me.

All the best from the Land of the Midnight Sun.
Magnus Sigurdsson
ICELAND

Gentelmen.
Regarding the 6mm Classic case.
For whatever reason it is stuck in my head that the 6mm Classic case (6PPC)
was the creation of one Mr. Jensen in an attempt to give short range BR shooters
brass to use during the infamous PPC brass shortage years ago.
The brass was made by Brass Ex….??? something …can’t remember.
The late Mr. Geza Nagy did test the cases and reported in PS.
Since all my PS Mags. are gone I can’t look it up.
If I am wrong (happened before!) please correct me.

All the best from the Land of the Midnight Sun.
Magnus Sigurdsson
ICELAND

Sounds like you may have the answer.
Thanks

Keith Gantt and I bought 100 of those cases. By the time they arrived, Lapua cases were "somewhat" available and we never loaded them. Quite frankly, the cases we received were questionable as to whether they were safe to reload.

Keith Gantt and I bought 100 of those cases. By the time they arrived, Lapua cases were "somewhat" available and we never loaded them. Quite frankly, the cases we received were questionable as to whether they were safe to reload.

Didn't you see how nice mine are? They don't look very good, but I haven't or won't use them.

All,

The 6mm version of the 6.8 SPC is very close to the 240 Coyote #2 that Harold Broughton cooked up in the early '80's when the Sako shortage was on. I bought all the tooling and made forming and sizing dies for it, and went on to have brief moments of greatness followed by prolonged periods of medocrity with it. Made cases from 30 American brass, standard 30-30 cases and 30 Rem cases. The large pr. 30-30 cases seemed to work best, probably because of the long powder column.

On another note, an interesting new case to wildcat is the 22 Nosler. It is very close to a 219 Donaldson Wasp, with a 222 head size. Could very easily be necked up to 6mm and have the shoulder pushed back some. Nosler's intention with it is for AR type rifles to shoot a cartridge that approaches 22-250 velocities. There was a review on it in the "American Rifle" magazine last month. The case would work for BR shooters who have a rifle with a small bolt face, and want to shoot a 6mm cartridge. (and not rebate PPC's to 222, which I have done for a number of years) I have no info on the quality of the Nosler brass.

FWIW
Steve Kostanich

Back