6mm bullet?

BHB

Been looking to buy some 66gr.bt bullets. Found some boat tail and double radius boat tail.Can someone explain the difference and which one would be easier to tune. Shooting out to 300 yards.

double radius is ie 7/11 7 body 11 point.
both take time to properly tune. why the bt bullets? do you think they will help at 300 yds?
I'm pretty sure the bt doesn't really kick in at that range , although they do seat in the case easier.
Good quality bullets will shoot no matter the ogive. First you should try different bullets to see what your barrel likes best.

I'm not sure that is correct -- I thought DR meant the ogive portion of the bullet has two curvatures. But, I've been wrong before.

That's what Gerry is referring to. It is a dual curvature bullet. Take a Bart's 6mm Ultra for instance. They're a 9 ogive above the shank that blends to 6.5 at the tip.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

That's what Gerry is referring to. It is a dual curvature bullet. Take a Bart's 6mm Ultra for instance. They're a 9 ogive above the shank that blends to 6.5 at the tip.

My bad -- I thought he meant the "body" was what you call the "shank."

double radius is ie 7/11 7 body 11 point.
both take time to properly tune. why the bt bullets? do you think they will help at 300 yds?
I'm pretty sure the bt doesn't really kick in at that range ,

Hows that going to work, you have a smaller radius on body into a larger radius transition won't work you will have a mismatch. larger radius from base into a smaller radius transition is smoother. isn't the internet great for information

6mm bullrt

hummm maybe your thinking different then I am
Lets see now 11 ogive point turns into a 7 ogive point to a body that usually a 7 ogive
more like a Tangent bullet.
I had a roman nose bullet that a die maker made once. It shot like shix

hummm maybe your thinking different then I am
Lets see now 11 ogive point turns into a 7 ogive point to a body that usually a 7 ogive
more like a Tangent bullet.
I had a roman nose bullet that a die maker made once. It shot like shix

O.K. lets try again a 7-11 or a 11-7 how ever you want to call it is still a 7 ogive tip into an 11 ogive body or an 11 ogive body into a 7 ogive tip, the math will NOT work your way, an 8-9 ogive tangent is about all you can fit on an ,825 long jacket before you run out straight shank. if you run an 11 on the tip good luck there will be no bearing surface. sooo the larger radius is the body smaller on the nose. I am not saying you can't make it reversed but there will be a mismatch where the transition is.. I have done a dozen or so different double and triple radius configurations and all have the larger radius on the body and step down from there....

6mm bullet

Thats what this thing is supposed to be an 11 point on a 7 body.
any way it shoots really well. but that 9/6 was a dog, of course others may like it
I like my straight 8 best and of course Bobs 7.5 point stiil works wonders ,and farris Pindells 7 is just fine if i need a more open tip.
That old B&A set works too in close ,but is too drifty at 200. Of course if I was shooting farther out i would use my Detsch 10 ogive

[QUOTE= but that 9/6 was a dog, of course others may like it

You mean like Billy , Bart, Steve Lee , Tony , Gene and a host of others seems to be working for them....

Question- isn't this double ogive nose an attempt to assure the bullet enters the barrel without yaw?

In the 100/200 games,IMO, the aerodynamic improvement is unmeasurable, or nearly so. Ferris Pindell's "needle point" lessens bullet drop about 12" at 1,000 yards by actual measurement. At 200 we couldn't measure an improvement.

Or is this multi-nose just a sales gimmick?

Jackie bought some bullet dies and the bullets he made wouldn't shoot well. Who out there thinks Jackie didn't do it right? I don't!!

I goofed up a pointing die and after cussing me quite a bit, Bob Simonson fixed it. The resulting die made a 2446 bullet and I thought it was ruined. Turns out I sold quite a bit of those fat bullets and folks were mad as hell when I sold the dies. The bullet had a burnished place on it but it didn't matter. If you had one of "those barrels"...they shot like the hammers of hell. Secondly, when Keith Gantt sold me his killer rifle he handed me a new barrel that he couldn't get to shoot...and it wouldn't shoot until I tried some of those fat bullets. Turned out to be the best barrel I ever had...as long as I shot those fat bullets. It shot .4XXs with normal size bullets.

What I'm saying here is that different barrels like different bullets. That's it...there's no more to this story other than nobody makes truly custom bullets...custom diameter bullets.

George, what would it cost to make a set of pointing dies that ranged from .2445 to .2430, ten thousandths difference in each die...15 pointing dies?

Jackie bought some bullet dies and the bullets he made wouldn't shoot well. Who out there thinks Jackie didn't do it right? I don't!!

I goofed up a pointing die and after cussing me quite a bit, Bob Simonson fixed it. The resulting die made a 2446 bullet and I thought it was ruined. Turns out I sold quite a bit of those fat bullets and folks were mad as hell when I sold the dies. The bullet had a burnished place on it but it didn't matter. If you had one of "those barrels"...they shot like the hammers of hell. Secondly, when Keith Gantt sold me his killer rifle he handed me a new barrel that he couldn't get to shoot...and it wouldn't shoot until I tried some of those fat bullets. Turned out to be the best barrel I ever had...as long as I shot those fat bullets. It shot .4XXs with normal size bullets.

What I'm saying here is that different barrels like different bullets. That's it...there's no more to this story other than nobody makes truly custom bullets...custom diameter bullets.

George, what would it cost to make a set of pointing dies that ranged from .2445 to .2430, ten thousandths difference in each die...15 pointing dies?

Wilbur, it was a rather futile experience when you discovered that despite all of your efforts, the bullets that you were so painstakingly laboring over would not shoot anywhere near as good as those that were just a phone call away.

For years, it was reported that a very famous Benchrest Shooter had a specific load combination that, if a new barrel would not shoot, that barrel was set aside. He did not have time to waste putting good bullets into a burm and burning up good powder on a barrel that would not shoot that combo.

I talked to a shooter once at a National Event who said, "give the barrel what it wants". Really? Who has time to spend wasting countless hours at the Range, spending countless dollars on various brands of bullets, and using up good cases pouring perfume on a pig.

Like many shooters, I have a specific Bullet/Barrel/Powder combination in both my 6PPC's and my 30 BR that I know is competitive. If a new barrel will not shoot it, I'm not going to waste a bunch of time hoping it will.

Last edited:
The late great bullet maker and experimenter Del Bishop once told me that double radius ogive bullets were less critical on seating depth. His had the smaller ogive number at the tip. One of the better examples of this sort of bullet is one that Tom Libby used to shoot a record with. I forget which one. At first the die maker refused to make the design, thinking that it would not be accurate. Finally after much cajoling, he made it and after testing the resultant bullets was quite enthused.

I believe that Lester Bruno has said that his level of accuracy increased when he tried a 13 1/2 twist barrel (not popular at the time) in combination with his OO BT bullets, which I believe have a double radius ogive.

On the bit about not wasting time on a barrel, different shooters are in different situations with regard to being able to sort through a number of newly chambered barrels, and for those who do not have the resources to take that approach, trying different bullets may be their only practical alternative. Luckily, this method has on occasion proven effective, as Wilbur reported. Once upon a time I was having a hard time getting a barrel to shoot, and mentioned it to Walt Berger. He suggested a type of bullet that I would not have thought of for that twist, and that solved the problem. At that point, having a lot more time than money, I had nothing to loose.

I had a somewhat identical approach as Jackie...if it wouldn't shoot 322, I just lived with it until I could get another. The fat bullet deal was just something I ran across that worked very well. That said, it worked very well with the same load I used and I didn't change a bunch of stuff but rather just the bullet....and I made that bullet. If I hadn't made the bullet, I would not have tried it and the barrel would have gone in the pile.

Jackie is correct in his line of thinking given the variables involved.

6mm bullet

Question Wilbur.
What did you do on the brass with the fat bullets? did you have less neck clearance?

I'm pretty sure I turned a bit more off such that I would have the same clearance as always...but that's been a long, long time ago.

6mm bullet

I just wanted to ask that for the new shooter asking the question.'
I was pretty sure you had to do that unless you had a zero turn chamber like a .271.
I hope the new person keeps reading his original post here.
Sometimes it,s off topic. Or goes in another direction.

Back