6BR Light Varmint Rifle

Frankr

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/index.php/topic,3773494.0.htmlHey guys I built a new 6BR light Varmint rifle to try and shoot a few club Group shoots and maybe one or two Reg matches a year.
I posted some pic's on accurate shooter forum, It's got a few looks but only one reply?? is it they dont know what to think?
I mean no one said hey your a Idiot or anything, no one thought it was funny, no one wanted to know how i do it.lol Looks like it might be another hummer.

Last edited:
6mm BR

Looks like it's above my pay grade. If you're happy with it that's all that matters. Enjoy it. - nhk

Thanks nhkuehl,It was a bit pricey but have two barrels did the stock work myself, Not easy and still not sure of it yet.

Nice looking work. What brand of barrel did you choose? How is it bedded? Having done the work yourself puts you in an elite club, and you should really feel good when your project works well, which it seems that it will. Do you have flags, a good rest, and are you set up to load at the range?
Boyd

Nice lookin rig Dallas, Next you'll be in business, the gunsmithing business that is. Maybe it will compete with some PPC'S. Keep us posted!!!!

Congrats!No denying that the new rifle will shoot. But that stock..............

Beauty is in the eye f the beholder and all that..................

enjoy it, its yours and you paid for it. No one can take that away from you.

p.s sorry forgot to ask why the 6mmBR choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice rig. Some honest-to-goodness BR grade bullets and a bit of work with powders should really wake it up. The BIB 65 gr. bullet (.790 jacket) would be one to try. Benchmark, N135 and the new XBR8208 are all good ones in that combo. Changing the neck tension can be a big tuning aid, also.

Good shootin'. -Al

Boyd the barrel's are pac nor's super match's, im going on 4 pac nor's now and have been very pleased with all of them. but i do want to try a bartlein 13.5 on a 6ppc.
It's pillar bedded, I used pro bed 2k. first time i used it.
This is my thrid 6BR and at this point in time all of them have been what i consider capable of shooting group's in the .100's..and i have shot many group's and even a agg in the .100's with them(in practice). My last 6BR i waited till i had 1,300 rounds down the tube before i took it to a club match and tha barrel was done at that point i was struggling to keep it shooting and agg'd a .360 ...I wont wait with this one if i get it tuned and in the .100's (all day long) lol...I'm heading straight to a match..

Thanks Al..I have some 68 gr PB boat tails.

It actually was very unuseally windy for that time in the morning(thats why i went early to beat the wind).
There was a gusty switchy wind(storm) with a heavy right to left push,maybe i got caught right when i touched off that shot but i feel i muffled it myself.

Attachments

• GEDC0213.jpg
    GEDC0213.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 400
Last edited:
It actually was very unuseally windy for that time in the morning(thats why i went early to beat the wind).
There was a gusty switchy wind(storm) with a heavy right to left push,maybe i got caught right when i touched off that shot but i feel i muffled it myself.

And.... That's how you know how competitive you will (can) be.... In the middle of the day when da flags / tails are >moving<. Though, nice to know if you and equipment are working together in the morning light winds...

Nice rifle and fine work. Like Al said, XBR may be really nice in that BR case... Also think about N135 too.

I've had some VERY competitive Pacnor's too.... Fine button rifled barrels...

cale

Ok thanks guy's..Ya know i try to have a good time laugh & joke around poke fun at stuff..laughter is good for the soul.
Like i poke fun at me shooting the 6BR at group BR and i love to go to a match and act stupid, when i can hear the scorer's saying in a low voice,man that guy has a really good shooting 6BR over there..Just so you know i'm going to build a new 6ppc I just havent worked out the details of what i want..yet..
I found it hard to believe that no one thought that the some assembly required was funny or that the fleetwood mac song-Go your own way-was playing in the background.
If you dont know that song punch it in on your computer and listen to it, i just think its hilarious..And it really was playing i'm thinking of makeing it my them song..lol..

I take it you got your brass issues figured out? How about the bolt throw, did you order a set of offset rings yet? Rifle looks good, now go shoot it in some real wind and see how she does. Tune your load for a bit of vertical and i bet it shoots just fine. Try those off set rings though, I think that will fix your aggravations with the action. Looks good man! Lee

One more thing. What does your rifle weigh and how long is your barrel? I know when tom Haverkamp built his ppc LV rifle he had a little bit of an issue staying under 10.5 pounds with the length of barrel he wanted to use. I don't remember how long he wanted his barrel to be and i don't remember what he had to do to get under the weight limit? I do no that tom used a kelbly stock. Not real sure how the kelblys stock weight compares to the edge stock you have. Lee

Last edited:
Thanks lee, No, not really a issue with the bolt throw just close,Im getting use to it..It's not set up to be a runner..more of a picker..But i love it,it's how i dreamed it up.
Yea i need to get it weighed,,I feel im under 10.5 with all the weight's in the but stock.. the barrel thats on it is 21 3/4"..and its light contour..looks big in the pic's. but its not.
But yea i got to get a scale..to figure it out..Im thinking my black rifle with the hart action and the big long barrel was weighed at 11.5 lbs..if i can remember right,not sure though..and this one is way lighter that it..big difference...I'm actually thinking could make 10.5 with the big barrel on it but no butstock weights.And if you noticed im useing a hart ring that only wieghs like 3oz or something like that,i mean both of them in your hand it's like nothing is there..Im sure if i went with the kelby's style base with a higher ring i would have more bolt throw clearece. Yea i got my cases set up and everything is good there..I have like a ton of stuff but it seems i need alot more and even want more.lol

6410 post's and you alway's have an answer. What's your real name . How can you possibly butt in that many time's? My full name is Robert Vern Johnson. How do you spell your name when it count's? alinwa! tell us what that means.

Dont know what is going on there, but i'm not getting involved. Mark(MRL) has invited me over to Mcdonald to shoot in the last club score match of the year.
i'm going,I't's going to be very cold. I only shot 46 rounds through the little barrel and 30 was just going bang,shoot&clean BS,fire form to my chamber ect. then loaded 16 rounds of what i know should shoot, new rifle,new barrel,chamber.I was light on the powder and jumping .010. and it shot well,showed it wanted to shoot and with promise.
now being 46 deg F and colder now i see no reason to try tuneing that barrel now, so i put the big barrel on and loaded up some stout loads to try and get ready.
And it would not shoot all over the place, reset my action screws and it got worse. Think i had a bedding problem, so came home tore it apart and rebeded.My gut told me to go with the rear tang as the recoil lug,so thats what i did and i feel i have it perfect, also i have like 70 66Gr bullets left that i know shoot so i'm heading back out sunday afternoon in hope that it will shoot.

8-8 1570001.jpg4-.0780001.jpg4-.0780002.jpg5-.2110001.jpgtarget0001.jpg8-1 1670001.jpgTarget review of a barrel gone bad...
the .078 was one fouler round then the next four shots,then the next five mid,.100's then barrel fouled and next five low.200's. and thats how it went till now maybe could squeeze 5-6 rounds out before its fouled in the throat, only fire cracked first inch..maybe i could set it back and rechamber and it would come back to shooting.

Last edited:
more targets..the 200yrd target were from a match and you can see i wasent doing all that bad in the wind with a 1,300 round 6BR barrel.lol
if it wasent for getting caught in a reverse for a big 1.700 something i might have done well...now the 300yrd group was messing around with some varmint bullets and the one way out was operater error or was it? maybe it was my barrel was dieing and throwing a shot..I have shot .350-.550 at 300 with that rifle.now the targets i'm showing you are what i have in my computer.I have had stacks of them some i dont know where they are some were in my back pocket and got washed..lol
Oh it's been a rough day at work and i have had a few cold one's..My hummer is dead.

Attachments

• 8-8 1590001.jpg
    8-8 1590001.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 138
  • scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 153
  • 42411 300 650001.jpg
    42411 300 650001.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Back