6BR and 4320?

H

hayseed

Quite a while back, I stocked up on IMR 4320. I'm currently working on a new 6BR, and do have supplies of Varget, RE 15, 203B, etc.

As I was rummaging through the powder locker recently, it struck me that I had never seen evidence that anyone had tried 4320 in 6BR, or any of it's variants. If I'm not mistaken, it's burning rate is similar to Varget, which seems to sort of be the gold standard

In looking back through my load notes, I did see some indication that some of my 4320 loads were temp sensitive...

Really, I don't want to wear out the new barrel with load developement. I've already got some promising results and also some ladder tests I really need to run. I guess I'm just curious why 4320 doesn't appear to be popular in this chambering.

QuickLoad and IMR 4320

I did a little looking at IMR 4320 and a 105 Berger in 6mmBR and it looks good at 30.0 grains at 2850 fps. Velocity about the same as VARGET, but the heat of it is less than VARGET.

It will be interesting to see how you do.

Travelor -

Thanks for checking Quickload - sort of confirms what I was thinking. Maybe later this summer I'll give it a shot - or two. If nothing else, for old times sake. There sure seem to be a lot of good choices nowadays - daunting, almost

powder ???

Who stil makes 4320??? is it IMR ...tht is one powder I have never used....it might just be the ticket....Roger

i always wondered the same thing about IMR 4064. Powder Valley sells IMR 4320...

Last edited by a moderator:
IMR 4064's got fairly large kernals, which makes it somewhat like 4831 to run through a powder measure. I've never seen or handled 4320 - what's it like in this regard?

For extruded powder, 4320 is quite fine stuff. Lots shorter than 3031 or 4064, even though it's slower burning. I think it's a little shorter than Varget or 4895 as well. It does meter well, although I'm a weigh to the kernel guy.

Back