600yd benchrest

C

crpick55

I would like to know if anyone could tell me why, when i'm shooting 600yd, my first few sightershots and my first few match shots are in or near the x-ring then my next shots go high and most of the time left.
I'm shooting a remington 700 vls in 6mm remington. Also I have tried different bullets and get the same results. I figure its something i'm doing but i don't know what.

I would like to know if anyone could tell me why, when i'm shooting 600yd, my first few sightershots and my first few match shots are in or near the x-ring then my next shots go high and most of the time left.
I'm shooting a remington 700 vls in 6mm remington. Also I have tried different bullets and get the same results. I figure its something i'm doing but i don't know what.

All the problem on the same gun? Probably heat is changing the stress in the barrel. Real common on hammer forged barrels since they are just stresses ready to be unlocked.

Could also be a bedding issue if you still have the recoil lug on it.

What are your wind flags telling you?

Two things to consider...As you shoot, make sure that you are cooking off your round..ie..loading a round into chamber and letting it set there while waiting on a wing flag to switch or etc..Also, if your rounds are exposed to sunlight, they will heat up, causing a increase in pressure, thus higher velocity and a high shoot...high left also sounds like a shift, or increase in quartering right to left tailwind or decrease in opposite headwind.. I've found that if it was a bedding problem, it show all the time..

I was thinking wind too. If your shooting slow and the range has a prevailing left to right wind. Is it only at one range? Have you experienced it a diffrent venue?

I have tried at 100yds to see if the bullets would rise or move left, and they always shoot true. Thats why I thought I might be doing something at 600yds. I'm shooting a remington 700vls in 6mm remington 1 in 9 twist. Could
I be putting to much pressure on the butt with my shoulder. I'm right handed.

Back