600 yard action?

skeetlee

This is really just an opinion poll, but i am thinking a bit about this subject. What action would you choose for 600 yard bench shooting if you were going to choose between a panda Bat, or stiller drop port? Like i said mostly for fun here. Lee

No one whats to touch this one i guess. I think i am going to give BAT Machine a try. My good friend has one, and man is it nice!! The stiller drop port is an interesting action. There really isnt a right or wrong answer to this question, I just kinda wondered what some of you fellas prefer? Thanks Lee

of the actions you listed I would be willing to bet they will all shoot better than the nut behind the trigger.

Last edited:
I would also agree with that, especially this nut!!! I would be honored to own any one of them, to be honest!! Lee

Lee, I've got a BAT 3L that I've been very pleased with. I was somewhat concerned about the steeper cocking ramp that comes with a 3 lug action, thinking the extra effort required to open the bolt might disturb one's prone position or the rifle on the bags when shooting off a bench. I needn't have worried - once the action was bedded into a stock, I really couldn't tell much difference in cocking effort between the BAT & Nesika K or M700s on my other prone rifles. The roller on the striker nose gets most of the credit for the smoothness of bolt opening, and with an ejector, I feel a BAT 3L can run a string as fast as any other 2-lug action without a drop port.

Skeetlee

I might be wrong on this, but the Stiller Drop Port is designed to work only with a PPC case.

The consensus is that any of the popular custom actions are state of the art. Sometimes it comes down to which you can get in a timely manner.............jackie

Joe Krupa has one for sale in classifieds

Look at the 1.47 round BAT that Joe has for sale. It has a .308 bolt face and is RB/Lp/ LE I believe. It would make an ideal action for 600 yard work. James

Lee ...

What action would you choose for 600 yard bench shooting if you were going to choose between a panda Bat, or stiller drop port? Lee

Have you tried posting your question on the 600/1000 Yard Benchrest Forum on this site ??? You just might find the more relevant [600 yard] audience that you're looking for there. :)

Lee, go to the IBS web site and the match results section. Then pick Long Range. Under the 600 yard matches around the US you will find equipment lists. What you will find is a scattering of most BR actions in use today with the exception of some listings for the Remington 40X. I haven't seen a 40x in the 100/200 yard sport for several years.

I might be wrong on this, but the Stiller Drop Port is designed to work only with a PPC case.

The consensus is that any of the popular custom actions are state of the art. Sometimes it comes down to which you can get in a timely manner.............jackie

There are quite a few Stiller drop-ports doing will with the 6 Dasher at the Montana 1000 Yard matches.
I want one that will handle the 6-6.5X47 but Jerry said that they don't work very well.
A dual port is just as fast but brass control is not as optimized as it is with the drop-port.
Opinions of one...

Jay, Idaho

I have always liked stiller products. Plus Jerry has always been very good to me. I have 3 of there predator action, and i really like them. I also have a couple Lawton actions and i think they are pretty solid. I dont like the way they eject BR size cases though. Its not very positive. There is a modification that can be done and i am trying to find some info on this in another topic. Anyway, i have always drooled over my good friends Bat 3 lug. It sure would be nice to own one. I did find a good deal on a small Bat SV for 600 bucks, so it looks like i will finally get to own one. Its not a 3 lug, but it is a start. thanks Lee

Back