6.5x47 Lapua in Shilen DGA - Firing Pin Bushing

walkinhorseman

I have a Shilen DGA 308 boltface action that I am considering rebarreling to 6.5x47 Lapua. What is the likelihood that I will have to change the firing pin and bush the bolt, going from large rifle to small rifle primers?

The fining pin hole is real close to 0.075" and the pin diameter is 0.072". Measured the pin hole by plugging with number drills.

I have a Shilen DGA 308 boltface action that I am considering rebarreling to 6.5x47 Lapua. What is the likelihood that I will have to change the firing pin and bush the bolt, going from large rifle to small rifle primers?

The fining pin hole is real close to 0.075" and the pin diameter is 0.072". Measured the pin hole by plugging with number drills.

zero

I had to bush two FN m70 actions when I barreled them to 6.5 and 6mm x47 Lapua just this last year. Had blanking primers on virtually every load...even lmild starting loads. The fp on those actions measure a robust .080" and fp clearance was minimal...meaning a good fit. I bushed them to .070" and no problems with even the hottest loads. I would barrel it and shoot it first. If need be I'd bush the bf only after finding out there was an issue. It's possible, but I'm thinking it will probably work fine.

I had to bush two FN m70 actions when I barreled them to 6.5 and 6mm x47 Lapua just this last year. Had blanking primers on virtually every load...even lmild starting loads. The fp on those actions measure a robust .080" and fp clearance was minimal...meaning a good fit. I bushed them to .070" and no problems with even the hottest loads. I would barrel it and shoot it first. If need be I'd bush the bf only after finding out there was an issue. It's possible, but I'm thinking it will probably work fine.

What was it before? Are you saying that small primers blank at lower pressure than large primers?

al

No I'm saying the small primers were blanking with the larger firing pin diameter and bushing the bolt face and turning the firing pin down to .070" solved my problem. I have had no problem with large rifle primers and these actions with the larger .080 firing pin diameter.

Back