6.5 x 55 swedish project

P

peashooter

Hello out there, I'm new to this forum and am very interested in rebarreling my Ruger No 1B from 250 AI IMP to 6.5 x 55 swedish. I do have my own hobby machine shop and have rebarreled a rimfire or two but this will be my first centerfire for my own shooting fun and deer hunting etc. My reason for this calibre is I obtained a new free set of dies from a friends estate sale and I have heard many positive notes on this cartirdge. I'd like to shoot 120 to 140 is grain bullets or a little lighter if possible and I am wondering if any of you may be able to suggest a rifling twist that will fit my needs or if you have any experiene with this cartridge I'd like to hear any of the pros and cons about it. I will chamber the barrel and leave the barrel lenght long (27 inches or so) as if I do not like the cartridge choice I can rechamber to something else in 6.5, perhaps a 6.5 x 47 L or something to that effect. Also If I were to use a bolt action instead, and since this case head rim is noted in my drawings as.480" will it fit a standard long action bolt face or will I need to machine the bolt face out a little, and if so how much extra room around the case head rim should there be? Or, can I just take a couple of thou off of the case head rim and hope the ejector works?

LT

LT, I think the Swede is much overlooked for a 6.5 cartridge. The case head issue is a factor that may deter some. As you said, Lapua brass is bigger than American made Swede brass. Some people have said they don't have problems using Lapua brass in a standard Remington bolt, I couldn't. I rebated the rim some while enlarging the extractor groove at the same time, and it works flawlessly. Since you have lathe abilities, this shouldn't be a big issue for you.

As far as twist, I've never had a problem with a 9 twist using 140's, even with a 260 at 1000 yards. Some like 8.5's and 8 twists. The original barrels were something like 7.6 twist, but that is due to heavier bullets and slower velocity.

Go for it!

Wayne

SOunds good to me, I think I will give this cartridge a try and most likely toss the barrel onto the Ruger No 1. so this may elimiate the case head issue and just have to adjust the extractor a little. I'll try and narrow down exactly what bullets I like to use in this calibre and see if that twist will fit the reciepe. Thanks for the info!
LT

I really like 6.5x55

I don't remember if I saw the thread on 24HourCampfire or VarmintHunter, but on one of them, there was a thread on Ruger having made up some Number One rifles in 6.5x55. I seem to think it was a limited production, perhaps for a specific distributor. But in any event, many people wanted one. Do make it up in 6.5x55 as it will be fun, and you can always sell it at a good price. I would go with the faster twist, so if you want to shoot the factory 156 gr. bullet or load the 160 gr. bullet it will shoot well. The faster twist will not hurt the accuracy of the lighter bullets. I own 4 rifles in 6.5x55, a 29.5" barrel Swedish Mauser, one that had the barrel cut to 20 inches, a Winchester Model 70 and a Styer Mountain Hunter model. All of them shoot well. For hunting, the long for caliber bullet will do a fine job killing, even large animals. Finn Aagaard really liked it, read his article(s) on it. Good luck.

Here is another reason

I helped a good friend build a 6,5x55 Ackley a while back, we used a 1-10 twist, and it shoots the big 140 Berger great between 3000 and 3100 fps. A 1-9 will leave no doubt.

The really good part is the Lapua Brass for the 6.5x55. It is some of the finest I have ever seen. Worth every penny.

As for the rim diameter, most Factory Rifles have enough clearence overt the standard .473 so that it works with no mods.........jackie

Only in America is the 6.5X55 looked down on. If I could only own one CF rifle, it would be chambered for the 6.5X55. With the right bullets, I would take it any where in this world with confidence. The all around twist would be the one in eight and a half. Will work in all climes and shoot the biggest bullets you could possibly want.

Lapua brass only sweetens the whole deal.

Thanks Gents!

I think, I've got some good info here to make and educated decision at this point. I'm looking at the 1 in 8 or 9 twist area and definitely going to use this cartidge / calibre. Thanks for the input. I'll keep everyone in the loop on my project and show the progress and disasters along the way.
LT

I`d go with the 1/8 twist. I`ve a 260 that has 1/9" twist and have a little trouble with 142 gr Sierras. I don`t see any difference in velocity with equal lgt barrels and pressures between the Swede and 260 so I suspect the swede will act the same. JMO
Regular constructed 140s and down will do just fine with a 1/9" twist. I use my 260 for hunting and informal shooting only and 120-130 gr bullets are very accurate with this twist, as are they with the 1-8".
I`ve rebarreled a M700 and a Mark X to the 6.5x55 with 1/8" twist Hart and Shilen BBLs, and both turned out fine. There is enough slop in the bolt face of these actions to allow the Swede to work without any altering, and feed & ejection was dependable with no change to the factory bolts, rails or followers. I`d supect the Ruger single shots ejector to work OK also.
You`re going to like the cartridge!

And if you really, REALLY like it.........

Winchester made a limited run of Featherweights(but replace the extractor, its cast), also pull them out of the stock and inspect them, as some have had chemicals weeping out below the stock line. And, I believe Remington made a few BDLs, as well as a Classic in that caliber.

Back