6.5 wssm & rl17 ?

C. Jordan

Has anyone tried this combo yet? I have heard 4350 and 4831 work well. RL17 burn rate is between the 2 and I thought it may work well like it does in the 284 Winchester which also likes RL17 for extra velocity over the other 2 powders.

Thanks,

Chris

I did some searching on past posts...looks like RL-22 was giving the highest velocities but not necessarily the best ES.

I have tried rl22 and H4831 (sc).....The 4831 was just as fast and shot better groups. I will admit I didn't spend a lot of time with the rl22. I shot 1 tripple ladder test at 1000 from 45 g to 49.4 gr in .4 gr increments. I found 2 different clusters. Each cluster had 3 diff powder charges. I took the faster of the two nodes and worked it in .02 grain increments. I only shot one five shot group each at .2 grain increments at 1K.. It was a step backwards from my proven loads with H4831. I didn't fiddle with seating depth and neck tension....I did that initialy with the 4831....I figured they should be the same no matter what powder I used as long as used the same bbl/action/stock/scope/ect...... No need to wast components. I just wish my gun would eject the WSSM case, as it shoots very well.

Keep us informed if the rl17 works out.....I would like a reason to try it!!!

Thanks,
Tod

Working with VV N-550 and 140Berger VLD´s
Shoots great..!!

Best
2RECON

Has anyone tried this combo yet? I have heard 4350 and 4831 work well. RL17 burn rate is between the 2 and I thought it may work well like it does in the 284 Winchester which also likes RL17 for extra velocity over the other 2 powders.

Thanks,

Chris

I have been shooting a 6.5wssm for about 5 years now.I use 4831sc right now but was thinking of trying RL17 also.some shooters shooting 300wsm's are saying they get 100fps more with RL17 than 4350.please post back with some speeds if you try it preferibly with 140 bergers.

I have tried rl22 and H4831 (sc).....The 4831 was just as fast and shot better groups. I will admit I didn't spend a lot of time with the rl22. I shot 1 tripple ladder test at 1000 from 45 g to 49.4 gr in .4 gr increments. I found 2 different clusters. Each cluster had 3 diff powder charges. I took the faster of the two nodes and worked it in .02 grain increments. I only shot one five shot group each at .2 grain increments at 1K.. It was a step backwards from my proven loads with H4831. I didn't fiddle with seating depth and neck tension....I did that initialy with the 4831....I figured they should be the same no matter what powder I used as long as used the same bbl/action/stock/scope/ect...... No need to wast components. I just wish my gun would eject the WSSM case, as it shoots very well.

Keep us informed if the rl17 works out.....I would like a reason to try it!!!

Thanks,
Tod
tod what action do you have .I have mine on a 700 short action . i had problems when I first got mine but have learned how to fix them,maybe I can give you some advise.:DI have a few tricks to make them eject good.

tod what action do you have .I have mine on a 700 short action . i had problems when I first got mine but have learned how to fix them,maybe I can give you some advise.:DI have a few tricks to make them eject good.

BAT "M" (1.55") 8.5 RB LE.. Everyone. BAT included, said that I am hosed!!! You can not make the 8.5 "M" eject the WSSM brass.

Thanks,
Tod

Martin....great talking with you today...

I will try and run some data from Quickloads for you on the Reloader 17 and 140 gr. Berger's.

Here is a spreadsheet I came up with from the Quickload's data for my rifle

Note, I nailed the 4th OBT node = circled in RED:

Attachments

• 65-25WSSM140VLDLoad.jpg
    65-25WSSM140VLDLoad.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 465
You have a PM..Martin, looks like we got lucky on the Reloader 17!!

Interesting! That chart shows the same amount of RL17 in the 6.5 WSSM gives the same velocity as in the 260 Rem with the same amount of 17.

Chris

6.5wssm and rl17

I will be testing tomarow.I will be shooting RL17,H4831sc and hybrid-100v with 140 bergers.I will post some speeds.:D

6.5wssm and RL17

I did some shooting today out of the shooting house at the gun club with the 6.5wssm.here are the results,keep in mind it was 35 degree's out.my proven load of 47.8gr of h4831sc and 140 berger's had a speed of 2855.This load is hot in warm weather 80-95degree's.this load pushs a 140 2950 in warm weather.Hybrid 100v I started at 40gr and went to42.7. 42.7 had no pressure signs and speed was 2837,Probly could go higher.RL17 started at 42gr went to 45gr.45gr had no pressure signs and gave a speed of 2947.Keep in mind I shoot a long throated 6.5/25wssm with a 5c barrel and it was 35 degree's out.When I see pressure signs in cold weather it is the absolute max load and will probably have to backed down in warm weather.RL17 is 100fps faster so far.I will be doing more testing next couple of weeks.:D:D

Guys, I'm shooting such a monster. I have a 28" 1.055 straight taper Pac-Nor barrel on a Savage single-shot short action. I just finished chronographing some loads today with RL17. This might scare some of you, but I am up to 3000 FPS with virtually the same pressure signs at 47.5 grains as I am at 42 grains. ES is 18 FPS. I had this barrel made in 2006 IIRC, and just now getting around to shooting it. I also chrono'd RL19, H4350, and H4831SC. Couldn't get the speed out of H4831; ran out of case capacity. The 140 Bergers I'm shooting are just kissing the rifling, and the boattail-body junction of the bullet is about .050" ahead of the shoulder-neck junction of the case. Lots of room for powder there. The barrel has exactly 25 rounds down the tube as of this writing, and with the 47.5 RL17 load, it shoots 5/16" MOA groups at 100y (3 shots only for velocity recording). I haven't fine tuned this load yet, as today was just a chrono day. I'm amazed that the primers look the same all the way up to the current charge. No flattening, nice rounded corners, and no ejector marks on the brass (in fact, there isn't an ejector mark in my bolt head; I didn't install it, as I like picking out the brass by hand). This case just amazes me.

Last edited by a moderator:
..it's been awhile....my current load is:

44.6 gr. RL-17
2.630" COL
140 gr. Berger VLD Target

30" Pac-Nor barrel

at 80 deg. F, I am getting 3,105 fps:):)

6.5wssm and RL17

be careful with this powder it is temp sensitive.it works good in this case but you should always start low and work up.I did pressure tests in 40-50 degree weather and got to 47.5 too. in warm weather you will not get anywere near there. my load is 45.9 and its hot.44.6 is probly the next node down witch is probly were i should be.:D

I use several Alliant powders but not RL17. The label and info says it was developed for the short magnums!!

My sons 300 WSM likes the RL19 loads.

Back