5-C collet chuck

dokey

I need opinions on this 5C collet chuck listed on Ebay auction 2716 6755 4173. Need opinions how how these type Collet holders compare to the Drawbar types. I don't intend to do production work

Last edited:
Collet Chucks are a great convenience, but I have found that some do not fit common 5C collets very well. The chucks that shipped with our Grizzley lathes (US made chucks -- not Chinese) did not fit Hardinge, Royal, South Bend or other US made collets consistently. They do fit the import 5C collets, as these seem to be slightly smaller in diameter.

Bill Jacobs

For $169, i highly doubt you will be satisfied with the precision and accuracy. I'd steer clear. Bison makes a very nice set Tru collet chuck. Nice thing with a set tru...you can dial in dead nuts and will repeat.

I have a Bison set tru I use on a Rockwell 11" lathe. I use mostly Lyndex collets with it with no issues. Maybe the only downside to this type of chuck is it takes a bit of turning of the chuck key to swap collets. Some people use an adapter in an electric drill. I have a Hardinge Sjogren Speed Chuck for the lathe that I never use as I prefer the Bison when doing collet work in that lathe.

I'd take a look at http://cdcotools.com/
I have their $139. 5C chuck and collets, Chinese made but I'm pretty happy with them for the limited amount I use them.
It is a plain back, so you will need to fit a mounting plate to it for your lathe.
I did have to send the first chuck back, as it was way off and must have had a chip under it when it was ground, but the second one has been great and beats their .0004" TIR claim with any of the half dozen collets I've used sofar.

Cheers, YV

IF your lathe has a large enough spindle taper(M5) then a better solution is to get a soft M3 to M5 sleeve and machine the bore for a 5C collet in situ. You will need a simple tubular drawbar with hand wheel, but that's not too hard to make. The advantage is minimum work piece overhang and very good repeatability. My 13 x 36 Jet still shows less than .0002" runout with a 1/2 " Royal collet. The adapter sleeve has been in and out of the spindle hundreds of time in the 30 yrs since I made it.

RWO

Back