338 edge

dragman

I am building a 338 edge and I have a barrel question. Not being super knowledgeable with the bigger calibers I don't wanna get something that isn't going to perform. I was looking at getting a 27" barrel 1.25 at the chamber end and 9.25 at the muzzle. is that going to be enough barrel for the caliber in length and dia.???? I want to be able to shoot well over a 1000 yards with it.

i built an edge with 26" cut rifled rock creek barrel. it will push the 300mk up to the magic 2800-2850 range but is very hard on brass. some of it has to do with the remington brass but in a cartridge of this size a lot has to do with the barrel as well. if you dont already have the blank and you want the most the rifle is capable of giving, i would consider the 30" barrel that most other use in this caliber. in think your barrel dimensions other than length are very common and about right.

chuck

I am building a 338 . . . I was looking at getting a 27" barrel 1.25 at the chamber end and 9.25 at the muzzle. is that going to be enough barrel for the caliber in length and dia.???? I want to be able to shoot well over a 1000 yards with it.
I have a .338/404, which is roughly the same thing. The barrel is 1.25 at the back, and a bit smaller at the front -- it is a tensioned barrel rifle. With 88.5 to 89 grains of Reloader 25 in a 30-inch barrel, I get 2,775 over the Oehler 35, set up 15 feet in front of the muzzle. YMMV. The Mach number at 1,000 yards is 1.6, or 1,835 fps with 300-grain Berger Hybrids. Plenty of room left for more yardage.

In fact, I shot it today. Won a relay at Camp Butner. In the shootoff, fired a 3.7 inch group. Unfortunately, I was shooting for score, and Waverly McNeil got his little 6 Dasher perfectly centered up. Well, my group *was* smaller . . .

If this is a competition rifle, I'd echo the 30-inch barrel advice. The rest sounds just fine. You could also consider a Fletcher/Tooley stock to tame the torque effect of the .338.

Back