30PPC loads

M

mike southard

Don't want anybody to get in trouble with Wilber, but I need some starting load data for the 30PPC. I know what Jackie uses. If you don't want to post your load email me at mikesrc1@gmail.com

Thanks Mike

Simple enough. Take Jackie's load, reduce it a couple of grains then work up your load with your barrel telling you what it likes.

Some of the reloading software will allow you to put in custom case dimensions to create a custom/wildcat case design...and it will create load data for the cartridge..One I use is "Load from a Disc"
there are many case designs to chose from and thousands of bullets (factory)..
Or you can chose several powders of similar burn rates and work up from 80%case capacity to find your best load..You will need a chronograph for best results...

IMR 4227. Make sure it's the stuff made in Australia. It'll say on the bottle. It will get hot in a hurry but shoots very good if you can't find any n120.
---Mike Ezell

We have a shooter at Denton that uses 4198 with Knight 112s.
I truly believe that 30 PPC is the most accurate rifle that shots regularly at Denton.

Jon

I would strongly suggest that you stay away from 4227 of any kind. I haven't used them all, but why take the risk of losing your eyesight or worse. N120 isn't quite as volatile, but you must be careful with it as well. I've tried these 2 as well as H4198, N130 and RE7 in the 30PPC. While you can push velocities into the 3000's easily with N120 and Re7, you will be pushing the envelope. I've had my best accuracy with the slower burning powders anyway, RE7 being the best. I can push it to 2900 with a 115gr bullet, but the recoil and jump in my 10.5lb rifle is too much for an entire agg. It aggs best at around 2800.

Have ye tried 1680?

I tried it back a few years ago and it is in the catagory of 120 or 4227. I feel that 2800 is too slow if there are any conditions to speak of.

I tried it back a few years ago and it is in the catagory of 120 or 4227. I feel that 2800 is too slow if there are any conditions to speak of.

Never tried 1680, although if I could of got hold of some I might have. As far as the velocity goes, I shot that rifle through the entire winter league at Fairfax in some pretty rough conditions for the most part. That 2800 pooch load won the winter league, against stiff competition. A well stabilized bullet trumps velocity every time, IMHO.

Hal, would you share your starting RE7 load. I have some of that I need to burn up.

BTY I shot against that guy in Denton, Kicked my butt and I was having a good day

Mike, you can't put enough of it in the case to cause any pressure problems. My load is 59 clicks, and thats almost all the way to the top of the neck. Lots o' neck tension to keep the bullet from backing out after seating.

I would strongly suggest that you stay away from 4227 of any kind. I haven't used them all, but why take the risk of losing your eyesight or worse. N120 isn't quite as volatile, but you must be careful with it as well. I've tried these 2 as well as H4198, N130 and RE7 in the 30PPC. While you can push velocities into the 3000's easily with N120 and Re7, you will be pushing the envelope. I've had my best accuracy with the slower burning powders anyway, RE7 being the best. I can push it to 2900 with a 115gr bullet, but the recoil and jump in my 10.5lb rifle is too much for an entire agg. It aggs best at around 2800.

Its a fast powder but you stand the chance of over doing it with many different powders in many different cartridges. Anybody that reloads understands that, or better. It shoots great in my 30 Major but not quite as well as the n120. If I couldn't get the n120, the Aussie 4227 is my second choice. They all have their downsides. Just don't try to squeeze every ounce of speed out of it. I can shoot bugholes with a 1.5 grain window at least. No need to push it.---Mike Ezell

Its a fast powder but you stand the chance of over doing it with many different powders in many different cartridges. Anybody that reloads understands that, or better. It shoots great in my 30 Major but not quite as well as the n120. If I couldn't get the n120, the Aussie 4227 is my second choice. They all have their downsides. Just don't try to squeeze every ounce of speed out of it. I can shoot bugholes with a 1.5 grain window at least. No need to push it.---Mike Ezell

Mike, when you go from a seemingly normal pressure load to a half click more powder and separate a case head as I did, you may change your mind on that thought. Advising the use of it on an internet forum is not wise, a similar incident is the reason Jackie has no where near the number of posts under his belt as he used to. Most experienced reloaders know to proceed with caution, as it's one of the first things we learn when we start. Remember though, we are talking about a bottlenecked rifle cartridge filled with a pistol powder.

From my experience

Never tried 1680, although if I could of got hold of some I might have. As far as the velocity goes, I shot that rifle through the entire winter league at Fairfax in some pretty rough conditions for the most part. That 2800 pooch load won the winter league, against stiff competition. A well stabilized bullet trumps velocity every time, IMHO.

The slower nodes are extremely accurate but much wind at all will push them around a lot. Perhaps it's just my lack of condition reading abilty.

Let's not forget

Hal Drake holds the 30 cal. world record agg., and with more favorable conditions, might have been the world record agg. for any caliber. His input about slowing it down a bit makes a lot of sense. When you look at the 10 mph wind drift you get from slowing a bullet down 100 fps, it's not that much. When you divide it by 10, for a 1 mph drift, it becomes a very small detail. Go with the most accurate load. Another thing that has probably never been mentioned here is just how high the pressures are when a Lapua BR case head expands. Now I know the PPC case won't run at the BR pressures, but I ran a test with a 22BR Lapua case to see just how fast it could push a 50gr bullet out of a 26" barrel. My thinking was that the case is always the weakest link. I was very wrong. At the hottest load fired the case still would hold a primer with a fair amount of seating effort, but the chamber had swelled about .002" causing a reverse taper in the chamber and the case had to be knocked out with a cleaning rod. Keep in mind that the barrel was an older Schutz Brothers barrel, and they have been known to be on the soft side (around 20-22 RC). The barrels used today are around 28 RC so they don't swell as easily, but why push it that close when there is a chance of swelling a chamber. By the way the velocity was around 4250 fps.

Michael

Last edited:
Back