30br fireforming

I'm sure this subject has probably been covered more than once but at the time I
wasn't paying attention. What kind and how much powder is used? What and how much
wadding is stuffed in cases or are bullets used? I will appreciate any help anyone can give me.

Thankyou

Martin

Ok,
I use a 22 barrel. I chamber it with my no turn hunting rifle reamer. Yes, I drill the barrel for the 308 reamer bushings. I use Bullseye to the bottom of the throat and a candle wax plug. The chamber is a couple thousandths short on headspace. I resize and turn the necks and am ready to go.
Butch

Hi Martin. You will, most likely, receive many different answers to your question..and, most likely, they will all be correct. There are many different ways to make good brass. Find something that you like and try it.
I like the method Al Nyhus taught me. After(or during) your prep work, bump the shoulder back .020ish. I like to anneal after the expansion but before the fireforming. Use a stout (33.5-34.0 gr - you'll probably need a long drop tube and a slow pour to get it all in) of H4198 and seat the bullet long (.030ish jam). Lightly oil each case body (I spray RemOil on a rag and roll the case in it) and fire away.
No matter which way you choose; one way to check to see if your procedure is working the way you like - measure everything after you fire a couple of cases. If all measure the same - your on the right track. Load one of those cases again and see if your measurements change. If you whap them good the first time they should form nicely to your chamber.
Stanley

Last edited:
Back